Your Local Trains

Claude_Dreyfus

The Australian rhyming slang for an American or "Yank" is a "Sceptic TanK" (ie Tank rhymes with Yank), shortened to "Sceptic" or "Scepo".

Dang. I've been hanging on to the pun "Sceptic Tank" until I start my own think tank.

Mudkip Orange

I think it is ironic that an American train painted red, white and blue has been called a Septa.

South

Eastern

Pennsylvania

Transit

Authority

Yeah, it always sounded like "septic" to me too.

Sorry didnt mean to offend but it is what some people call Americans.

No offense taken here--I often call them worse things than that! :-)

I think it is ironic that an American train painted red, white and blue has been called a Septa.

South

Eastern

Pennsylvania

Transit

Authority

Yeah, it always sounded like "septic" to me too.

And depending on the line, it can smell like that too :P

And depending on the line, it can smell like that too :P

Gross but not surprise...btw Toronto is going thru Day 21 of the garbage/city strike.  :grin

Leo - Years ago, in the late 70s, I was in Toronto and from the subways to be quite. I was told they used a type of rubber tire on the trains to make them less noisy, is that true?

You mean, like Paris' rubber-tyred metro? It does help reduces noises and vibrations but it increases warmness and energy consumption. This technique increases as well acceleration and braking capabilities.

I want to say EMD experimented wit this concept on the 2nd general diesel electrics at one point, but the cost of the mnt. to swap out was cost prohibitive to the RR's and the experiment was dropped.

alpineaustralia

A few photos of a suburban commuter train hugging the mountain side at Stanwell tops about 1 hr south of Sydney.

post-29-13569923019125_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923019762_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923020314_thumb.jpg

Since I also take pictures as a hobby I also want a couple of times pictures of trains from my home-post:)

BR 194 or E94 on the "Felsentor" by Regensburg (from last year, the stone bridge is blown up this year, unfortunately. : (

img9997gkopie.jpg

VT 98 on the KBS 855 (My native railway :D)

img9221m.jpg

some ARRIVA/ ALEX Pics:

img7171kopie.jpg

img7619kopie.jpg

img1228fr.jpg

img6258zb5.jpg

and lust bot not least a frieght train picture :D

img7099kopie.jpg

this is my localtrains :) hope you liked the pictures.

some ARRIVA/ ALEX Pics:

What's the red/blue coach?

Here's the latest addition to our local schedule, an extension of the Northeast Regional service:

4376464268_40956bf6eb_b.jpg

yes, the cars are old DB car's.

The red beige dinnercar is a old TEE Dinnercar regularly run through the features of the ARRIVA, just like the blue / red dining cars (kakadu)

Another thread I just found so I better add a few shots that were lurking on my hard drive. Can't let the Mexicans take over.

The first shot is to help illustrate the answer to a question asked of me by Mudkip Orange. It shows the western end of Brisbane's Roma St station, the Tilt Train on the left is at platform 10 which heads towards Exhibition, the tracks curving to the right head west and south.

The second is my faithful steed parked on the dual gauge at platform 2, normally only used by the daily XPT to/from Sydney, but for some reason that escapes me at the moment we turned back from here instead of crossing the river to Southbank.

Third is another SMU (Suburban Multiple Unit) getting a nose job in the 'jacking road' at Mayne Electric Train Depot.

Also at Mayne is the pride of the fleet, the diesel powered Cairns Tilt Train.

Fifth is a coal train passing Lindum on the Cleveland line enroute to the port at Fisherman Islands.

Six is a well worn GM 1720 class waiting to head down the new Gold Coast line extension towards Varsity Lakes with a ballast train. There are only three or four engines left in service in the old blue paint scheme.

Seven is DD17 No.1051 passing Bowen Hills with a city circle service during the Brisbane Exhibition. The DD17's were nicknamed 'blue babies' by the crews for obvious reasons.

The last is PB15 No.448 at the Queensland Pioneer Steam Railway about five minutes away from my house.

post-218-13569924162336_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924162863_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924163347_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924163769_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924164174_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924164616_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569924165139_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356992416559_thumb.jpg

Mudkip Orange

Seven is DD17 No.1051 passing Bowen Hills with a city circle service during the Brisbane Exhibition. The DD17's were nicknamed 'blue babies' by the crews for obvious reasons.

Y'all need to just put a Thomas the Tank Engine face on that thing and be done with it.

Y'all need to just put a Thomas the Tank Engine face on that thing and be done with it.

That has been done, but the Thomas the Tank Engine people started to want too much in royalty payments and got stricter in their terms of using their characters.

Nice photo of the DD, Westfalen. I was up at Zig Zag a few weeks ago, had a couple of trips firing on their DD17, 1049. Lovely little engine, steamed like a witch.

Cheers,

Mark.

I just have to say it...Australian locomotives has the most interesting hybrid of design...its like a combination of American and European in so many cases.  It blows me away every time I see something that looks so similar (to the typical US locomotive) but then has this distinctively non-American look.  And then no buffers either?  Really fascinating rail you have 'down under'.  Thanks to all of you for sharing.  I don't ever recall seeing this many interesting Australian rail pictures in all my years. 

Claude_Dreyfus

It has been a fair few years since this thread was last updated, and we have a fair few new faces on here since then. 

So, perhaps it is maybe time to reignite this thread...with yet another class 377! Nothing changes on my route too much, the previous units on this line were introduced in the mid 1960s. 

377132_zpskyut7gpc.jpg

377132 heads a south-bound train about a mile south from where I live.

• Like 1