Kintetsu to commission new Minami-Osaka/Yoshino Line Resort Train

StarrWulfe

55f132490b73a.jpg

The new 3-car train will ply the route between Kintetsu Osaka-Abenobashi station and Yoshino station in southern Nara prefecture in about an hour twenty minutes.

55f13292aa447.jpg

Aboard the train, cars 1 & 3 are seating with a 1+2 across formation. Car 2 is the lounge car which features a long bar and lounge style seating. Drinks, cocktails, and light meals will be served aboard the train, and an attendant will point out particular scenery over the PA system while en-route.

55f13342e64f1.jpg

The Yoshino-gawa area is famous for its fruit and wines, and a selection will most likely be served aboard the train. We can expect to see it go into service during autumn of 2016. Cost is very reasonable; Regular fare (970 yen as of today) + 720 yen for the premium class charge.

Personally, I'm surprised to see it take this long for Japan's largest private (Non JR group) railway to get into the resort train business. With other prime destinations like Kyoto, Saidaiji, Nara, Iga, Ise, Toba, and Nagoya, I expect this to only get bigger as time goes on.

(Translated by me from Tetsudo Shinbun coverage.)

• Like 6

Actually, I think we'll see a lot more resort trains over the next few years. Don't be surprised that Nankai does something for its service from Nankai Namba to Koya-san, Tobu gets more luxurious trainsets for Nikko and Kinugawa Onsen/Kinugawa-koen from Asakusa, more luxurious Odakyu Romancecar trains from Shinjuku to Fujisawa/Enoshima and Hakone-Yumuto, and so on.

• Like 1

I would consider the Shimakaze trainsets as resort trains, though they are not as "bar loungey"  as this design, having more of the sleek modern look suggesting speed rather than genteel conveyance.

*btw good to see you post here 'wulfe.  Looking forward to your takes and the latest lowdown on developments on the Toyoko Line and environs.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

I wonder has JR East thought about doing a Resort Minakami train that runs on weekends from Tokyo to Minikami on a year-round basis with refurbished 185 Series EMU's upgraded with luxurious interiors and full bar (and possibly) meal service. I think it would be actually fairly popular, since Minakami is a year-round resort with winter skiing, onsen resorts and outdoor sports.

55f132490b73a.jpg

The new 3-car train will ply the route between Kintetsu Osaka-Abenobashi station and Yoshino station in southern Nara prefecture in about an hour twenty minutes.

Aboard the train, cars 1 & 3 are seating with a 1+2 across formation. Car 2 is the lounge car which features a long bar and lounge style seating. Drinks, cocktails, and light meals will be served aboard the train, and an attendant will point out particular scenery over the PA system while en-route.

The Yoshino-gawa area is famous for its fruit and wines, and a selection will most likely be served aboard the train. We can expect to see it go into service during autumn of 2016. Cost is very reasonable; Regular fare (970 yen as of today) + 720 yen for the premium class charge.

Personally, I'm surprised to see it take this long for Japan's largest private (Non JR group) railway to get into the resort train business. With other prime destinations like Kyoto, Saidaiji, Nara, Iga, Ise, Toba, and Nagoya, I expect this to only get bigger as time goes on.

(Translated by me from Tetsudo Shinbun coverage.)

It looks a bit like a Blue Train...minus locomotive.

Cheers NB