Two new British outline models proposed by RevolutioN

railsquid

Following on from the Pendolino and the TEA tankers, RevolutioN Trains is working on two new models (links to the UK N Gauge Forum with announcement): EMU class 320/321 (to be produced by Rapido) and BR diesel class 21/29 (Dapol). Not of interest to everyone here but it's an interesting way of developing particularly niche models which should benefit consumers and producers.

At least they are starting something that most british N scale modellers could run! Imho the class 21/29 is a good choice. Still no 3rd rail emu-s as the company prefers overhead units, but diesels, especially those that were used in various green and blue liveries, so match the time frame of most british N layouts are great. (i would like to get one in rail blue /the late 1970ies reengined livery/)

Interesting. Especially the Class 320/321 are interesting to me. Being of a bit smaller profile than usual European trains, these could potentially mix well with Japanese prototypes. Their flashy liveries could certainly be eye-catchers at shows and meetings!

At least they are starting something that most british N scale modellers could run! Imho the class 21/29 is a good choice. Still no 3rd rail emu-s as the company prefers overhead units

Where do you get that idea from? They say on their website "We are also considering the similar 2-car Class 456, however this would require a little additional tooling to make an accurate model – please let us know if you would be interested in a 456." If you can make a case for another 3rd rail model, I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

but diesels, especially those that were used in various green and blue liveries, so match the time frame of most british N layouts are great. (i would like to get one in rail blue /the late 1970ies reengined livery/)

Ditto.

Being of a bit smaller profile than usual European trains, these could potentially mix well with Japanese prototypes.

They are 1:148 models with the prototypes built for narrow body lines with high platforms, so the loading gauge is almost the same as for most modern japanese emu-s. The main reason that Japan uses high platform trains is that the first japanese trains arrived from England and not the US or continental Europe.

Where do you get that idea from? They say on their website "We are also considering the similar 2-car Class 456, however this would require a little additional tooling to make an accurate model – please let us know if you would be interested in a 456."

The tooling cost for one extra shell could not be that great compared to everything else and imho offering the 3rd rail variant in various liveries from the start of the project would have been much better. I would even say there could be a larger demand for the 3rd rail than the overhead variant and it would cost less to develop the 2 car set first. But this is just my personal oppinion.

Could you please offer a better explanation, than the ladder like steps also visible on old english cars that turned out to be a bad idea and really unusable and were fixed with high platforms. (which was a really good idea btw.)

Interesting. Especially the Class 320/321 are interesting to me. Being of a bit smaller profile than usual European trains, these could potentially mix well with Japanese prototypes. Their flashy liveries could certainly be eye-catchers at shows and meetings!

Don't forget you won't get much change out of 30,000 yen for 1 (one) of these 3-car sets...

The price is steep, but that's what non-Japanese models go for unfortunately. I wouldn't be buying one anyway, but I would if I could. I dig the design quite a lot.

Could you please offer a better explanation, than the ladder like steps also visible on old english cars that turned out to be a bad idea and really unusable and were fixed with high platforms. (which was a really good idea btw.)

Initial platforms on Japanese railways were indeed high - but not as high as today's. Say they were mid-way up...really high pltforms came much later, probably with electrification.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Initial platforms on Japanese railways were indeed high - but not as high as today's. Say they were mid-way up...really high pltforms came much later, probably with electrification.

This seem to match the evolution of british trains too. Most american and contiental european trains on the other hand were built for boarding from railhead level platforms. (actually just dirt or stone filling between the tracks) The question is that it was a parallel evolution between the UK and Japan or the fact that many locomotives (including early electric ones) were from the UK, that resulted in the high Japanese platforms. Of course it could be as simple as a decision by the emperor, choosing the more practical solution, like in case of the Yamanote line or the location of Tokyo station. The shape of modern rolling stock in Japan and the UK is caused by the legacy narrow loading gauge high platform system, that can only be found elsewhere at a few isolated systems, like the Chicago elevated railway.

For platform heights, on the older photos i've seen lower platforms, that required two steps, one to reach the single step of the car, the 2nd to reach the floor. The same could be seen on british platforms and cars, with the platform/step difference disappearing first and nowdays level entry is possible on most urban stations. Europe in the meantime has choosen low floor trains and rather low platforms even for high speed rail. The initial platform height of japanese stations are still above the european mainline 'high' platforms and there are countless railhead height stops on branchlines. Urban commuter rail has started using high platforms in the 20th century though.

Nick is absolutely right when he states that the early platforms were not very high compared to later/modern platform heights. What's also worth noting is that most of the early Japanese passenger cars were of typical British design.

That meant that the non-corridor cars like the examples in the photo Toni posted had footboards much the same as contemporary Britiah carriages did, and for the same reasons. One was to allow easy access for the passengers from low platforms, and the other was to provide train crew and other staff with easy and safe access from the ground.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

The tooling cost for one extra shell could not be that great compared to everything else and imho offering the 3rd rail variant in various liveries from the start of the project would have been much better. I would even say there could be a larger demand for the 3rd rail than the overhead variant and it would cost less to develop the 2 car set first. But this is just my personal oppinion.

Unfortunately you would be incorrect on the demand for the 456 - it is significantly lower which is logical given that it is much more limited in its area of operation.

Cheers, Mike

(Revolution Trains Ltd)