New Russian tram prototype

cteno4

i wonder if they can handle "standard" russian Tracks

( my pictures while in Irkutsk around 2007-2008)

post-3119-0-52524000-1441345250_thumb.jpg

post-3119-0-64138600-1441345365_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alemino

That black thing seems like a recepe for a lot of fun when meeting a car (which happens regularly over there). The car would literally be ran over and the tram would fall on its side. Pure YouTube gold.

Apart from the not too practical nose design and the designer seats it's a fairly standard combino classic/flexity 2 style tram with two 2 axle units and a suspended middle section. Even the bogies and the joints are common amongs european low floor trams. Some modern japanese trams follow the same bombardier license. (issued by Tomytec) The first variants of this design was built in the 1930-ies. So imho this tram is not too innovative, slightly unpractical and very ugly.

The same frame with a slightly more sane shell: (still ugly, but at least practical)

http://www.railwaygazette.com/uploads/pics/tn_ru-uraltransmash_71-409_tram.jpg

Low floor trams are generally designed for very level terrain and can only follow predefined transition curves both in horizontal and vertical directions. For the tracks above, a classic high floor 2 axle or a medium floor bogie version is a must, otherwise the bottom would scrape along the top of the rails. The pcc bogies visible on the old tram are prefect for that kind of track. To create low floor units, a tram with jackobs bogies are also good.

Btw: For a really innovative design, check out the Ultra Low Floor trams from Vienna.

Edited by kvp

Mr Ochanomizu,

I would make the design comment no matter where it was from. It is the imposing top that I think is not a nice design for something that humans interact with. Also the design screams trying very hard to just be different, something that happens all the time now everywhere, as change is the important things these days -- many times with little regard if that change is for the better.

Jeff

If Japan or USA came up with the design we would all be crooning.

I say congratulations to Russia, at least for the contemporary styling.

I don't think that's fair to assess. Designs made with trams are usually made by people who take safety and usability into account and are usually made to match the area of operation. Russia's trams were by large foreign designs. These were mostly Czechoslovakian Škoda and ČKD Tatra made products or products based upon those designs. Usually these came from countries who have had already decades of experience with trams. Simple, utilitarian designs that were made to run on tracks in almost any condition.

Even in Russia, the new design has met scrutiny from the public: http://rbth.com/science_and_tech/2014/07/11/vader_vehicle_or_bat-tram_futuristic_new_russian_streetcar_c_38119.html and with some simple analysis on safety, it's easy to see that it's filled to the brim with design flaws: http://hybridtechcar.com/plans-mass-production-future-city-tram-r1-26-photos/ The design is indeed interesting from an artistic point of view, but it certainly isn't usable.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

The tram i linked in my post is the same frame with the production shell. Boring but usable. They just made the designer one to stand out and sell the normal version.