Yokohama Station- something always u/c

bikkuri bahn

YOKOHAMA — From its connection to Shimbashi Station as the first railway in Japan, Yokohama Station has been continually transforming itself. The current Yokohama Station, which is its fourth incarnation, is a giant train terminal accommodating lines operated by six railway companies — the highest number at a single station in Japan. Some people call Yokohama Station the “Japanese Sagrada Familia,” after the Barcelona cathedral that has remained under construction since it began in the 19th century and is unfinished to this day. With many construction projects lined up, including a commercial complex, Yokohama Station never stops evolving.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002377210

• Like 1

I can't remember ever being at Tokyo or Shinjuku stations when parts of them weren't construction sites either.

Then visit now! The main building is finished, the Tokyo-Ueno bypass is finished and afaik there is no construction scheduled in or around the station for months. I can't say the same about Shinjuku, but maybe someone else knows more. Btw. the dome in Milano was under construction for hundreds of years and they are doing a reconstruction work since the 1950ies. (still in progress) Buildings that are ready and not maintained/upgraded from time to time are usually pulled down when too many problems turn up at the same time.

And I thought Yokohama station was claustrophobic enough! It's a pretty tight station where it is now, with no large expanse of open space like in front of Tokyo Station. Nice that they'll be changing it though. 

Then visit now! The main building is finished, the Tokyo-Ueno bypass is finished and afaik there is no construction scheduled in or around the station for months. I can't say the same about Shinjuku, but maybe someone else knows more.

I think there's still some construction work going on in front of the main station building on the Marunochi side.

Shinjuku is still in a constant state of flux. I walked around the south side earlier for the first time in a few months, the buildings above the south end of the platforms now look like they're almost finished. Meanwhile construction work on a new east-west passage on the northern side continues, as it has been for years.