Hankai to extend track north into Den Den Town

Even though they are closing the southern end of their little tramway... it seems that they've got high hopes to extend the track north!

It seems that there is a proposal to extend the track in the other direction from Ebisucho station up to the main intersection near Nansandori via Sakaisuji. In effect, it will run above the subway route.

This means the tram will provide an easy way for electronics shoppers on Den Den Towns main street to get from one end to the other.

The posters for this proposal were on every second shop along Den Den and... stupid me... I didn't take a photo!

But, here's a blog post on the proposal: http://area.walkerplus.com/walker47/article/detail/ar0727100/le2498/20150430/2_201504300119211390/

17366585.jpg

Edited by stevenh
  • Like 2
bikkuri bahn

This is good.  DenDen Town needs a makeover, as it has gone to seed in a few places over the last few years- the southern end especially has too many adult video shops, IMO.  It seems to be picking up though recently, I haven't seen the bums sleeping on the sidewalks as much, and a new Toyoko Inn was opened last month right on the thoroughfare.  Maybe the tourist uptick will help if it continues. One problem, though, is that Osaka shuts down too early- most retail businesses pull down their shutters by 8pm, which compares unfavorably with Tokyo, which has longer business hours and as such gives off more dynamic, lively vibe.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

This is good.  DenDen Town needs a makeover, as it has gone to seed in a few places over the last few years- the southern end especially has too many adult video shops, IMO.  It seems to be picking up though recently, I haven't seen the bums sleeping on the sidewalks as much, and a new Toyoko Inn was opened last month right on the thoroughfare.  Maybe the tourist uptick will help if it continues. One problem, though, is that Osaka shuts down too early- most retail businesses pull down their shutters by 8pm, which compares unfavorably with Tokyo, which has longer business hours and as such gives off more dynamic, lively vibe.

I hope that if this proposal becomes reality, they should extend the opening hours of the shops in Den Den Town to something like 1030 to 2100 hours (JST). I really think they should extend the line all the way to the Kintetsu/Osaka Subway Nipponbashi Station, which would make the tram line even more viable.

Mudkip Orange

From the map it looks like some sort of off-line terminus to the west of the main drag. Almost seems like it'll end closer to Nankai-Namba than Kintetsu-Nipponbashi.

The reason why I wished the line was extended all the way to Kintetsu/Osaka Subway Nipponbashi Station is that it would immediately get ridership from visitors to the famous Dotonbori entertainment district to the southwestern part of Osaka.