Just noticed this on Ompuchaneru.  Hankai Tramway will end service on the Uemachi Line's south end between Sumiyoshi and Sumiyoshikoen on January 30, 2016.  Apparently this section of track is almost 60 years old and the crossing with the main line is aging, and it'll cost a lot to bring it up to standard.  This section first opened in 1913 as part of Nankai.

Hankai's pdf on the matter: http://www.hankai.co.jp/_wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/648df35ad70a218c95acb246eda4bfb1.pdf

previous discussion: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/8866-hankai-sumiyoshi-station-s-decline

Full line ride starting at Sumiyoshikoen.  It crosses the Hankai Line at 2:45.  Station atmosphere is cool, but the advertisement on the side of the car is for a pawn shop, and there's a pachinko parlor straight out of the station.  Ah, Osaka.

The train on this section run only five (four on Saturdays and Holidays) round trips in a day.

The last train depart Sumiyoshikoen Station at 8:24 a.m.(8:32 on Saturdays and Holidays). 

I posted a video of Sumiyoshikoen Station.

Edited by ayokoi
  • Like 5

I posted a video of Sumiyoshikoen Station.

Hi Ayokoi, welcome to the forum.  I have subscribed to your YouTube channel for several years now.  Thank you for the videos <(_ _)> :).

ayokoi, I'd like to know how are they going to put the new Sumiyoshi Station at the new south end of the Hankai Uemachi Line, now that Sumiyoshi-koen is being phased out.

ayokoi, I'd like to know how are they going to put the new Sumiyoshi Station at the new south end of the Hankai Uemachi Line, now that Sumiyoshi-koen is being phased out.

Sumiyoshi Station of the Uemachi Line located before the junction for the Hankai Line.

So,new Sumiyoshi Station will not construct.

All trains of the Uemachi Line will run through the Hankai Line to Abikomichi Station or Hamadera-ekimae Station. 

Map sumiyoshi

Edited by ayokoi

No need for a new station, just use the crossover north of the existing platform. The only hiccup is that this means a decline in service quality as anyone wanting to transfer to or from Nankai trains (or to/from other Hankai trams) will face crossing two major streets.

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman

The only hiccup is that this means a decline in service quality as anyone wanting to transfer to or from Nankai trains (or to/from other Hankai trams) will face crossing two major streets.

From the earlier thread:

westfalen, on 21 Jun 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

We got off the tram at Sumiyoshitoriimae and it took us all of 30 seconds to walk from there to Sumiyoshikoen station

So it can't be that big a deal.

Mudkip Orange

No need for a new station, just use the crossover north of the existing platform. The only hiccup is that this means a decline in service quality as anyone wanting to transfer to or from Nankai trains (or to/from other Hankai trams) will face crossing two major streets.

Cheers NB

This is like 1/5th of the distance that the designers of the Denver Union station intentionally created for LRT-commuter rail customers.

From the earlier thread:

westfalen, on 21 Jun 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

We got off the tram at Sumiyoshitoriimae and it took us all of 30 seconds to walk from there to Sumiyoshikoen station

So it can't be that big a deal.

I was going to say that. :)  It's nowhere near as bad as it looks on the map and as there has only been a morning peak service for a while now any passengers must have been doing the walk on their way home in the afternoon anyway.

I have said it before, but the Hankai is an absolute delight to ride and photograph.  Good variety of rolling stock and very atmospheric neighborhoods and infrastructure.  Even though I'm not a tram fan in particular (normally I would be more enthralled, say, with the parallel Nankai Line) a visit always is rewarding. It and the Chikuho Electric Ry. are my favorite tram/"light rail" lines.

Edited by bikkuri bahn