JR East rolling stock lost during the 2011 Tohoku earthquake

Staff Comment

I merged the new thread on rolling stock lost during the 2011 disaster by ConnieCommie with an older thread on the same topic.

• Densha changed the title to JR East rolling stock lost during the 2011 Tohoku earthquake
5 hours ago, kvp said:

Yes, just leaving the ED75 and the steam loco there would have been nice, but i guess JR east didn't want to remind people that there was a line and lots of cities there in the past. As far as i know there are no plans to restore the whole Joban line in the near future, although the section going through the nuclear exclusion zone is planned to be reopened in 2020, at least according to wikipedia.

All of the Joban Line, except beween Namie and Tatsuta has been reopened. The part between Namie and Tatsuta is expected to be opened in 2020. http://www.worldvillage.org/english/news/details.html?id=1843

1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

All of the Joban Line, except beween Namie and Tatsuta has been reopened. The part between Namie and Tatsuta is expected to be opened in 2020. http://www.worldvillage.org/english/news/details.html?id=1843

So only the radioactive area section remains closed. Will it be open for the olympics? Also reopening the section that runs near the damaged nuclear plant means the exclusion zone boundaries will be updated?

2 hours ago, kvp said:

So only the radioactive area section remains closed. Will it be open for the olympics? Also reopening the section that runs near the damaged nuclear plant means the exclusion zone boundaries will be updated?

I expect that only the rail line is opened, and that the in between stations remain closed. When I was there the rail line seemed in good condition besides it being neglected and overgrown. So I think that repairing is not a huge undertaking compared to other rail lines affected by the tsunami. As the train will only be passing through, you don’t need to worry too much about radiation. The main road has been opened for years, for example, with all the side roads being under lock and key.

• Thanks 2