Gloves

1954G

Maybe this is a silly question, but do you guys use gloves when disassembling your trains, and if so, what kind? 

I use cheap latex gloves to prevent damage to the train, but those gloves rip easily and aren't comfortable.  I'm hoping that there are better options, preferably fabric rather than rubber.  

As always, thanks for your help.   

Yes, hand washing is important. Unfortunately, my hands sweat when I'm nervous...and trying to fix n gauge trains sometimes makes me nervous.  :laughing6:

Anyway, I think I found the gloves I need.  Disposable cotton gloves used for handling jewelry/photos/CDs.  I assumed I'd need to buy them from a hobby store, but even Amazon sells them. 

http://www.amazon.com/Size-Medium-Jewelry-Inspection-Premium/dp/B00CUN4SQC

When I check level liquids I use always surgery type gloves to avoid dust and grease...

There are lots of levels: engine oil, gear / reduction boxes oil, cooling fan oil, turbocharger oil, compressors oil, diesel cooling water and intercooler water...

• Like 1

1954g,

Yep those are probably the best as they breath and are very reusable and you can even wash them. Biggest issue with the trains is the oils on your fingers and the shell paint of trains, this can slowly build up and dirt will stick to it with time and you can get discolorations. I have this on some of my locos from childhood that had lots of picking up in the center of the chassis and with time it discolorations differently from the non touched areas.

Only down side of wearing gloves is a loss of sensitivity in fealing bits in your fingers and a bit of traction on small parts. Cotton gloves are not always super tight fitting so parts can get trapped in little folds of the fabric. You just can't feel things as well either.

In the internal parts I don't see any real reason you need to worry about wearing gloves. The only place you want things squeaky clean is any pressure electrical contacts, even then the tiny fit of finger oil will get rubbed away quickly. Those spots anyway I clean while reassembling with a Qtip or micro applicator and some isopropanol. I find that our fingertips are pretty well evolved to grip, feel and manipulate tiny bits, fingerprints are excellent traction Treads and the little finger oil a good traction bit as well.

Btw the cotton gloves are also commonly called archival gloves and used to protect stuff like papers from your finger oils. They come in a number of weights, materials, and qualities. Nylon ones are used where lint can be an issue, but they are a bit slicker feeling. For trains Cotten is probably fine,mjust give them a couple of hard whacks on the table holding them at the base before putting them on to knock out any loose lint.

I have done lots of museum work over the years and had to wear these a lot and they are very comfortable if you can get good fitting ones (a challenge for my 12" span xxl hands). They certainly beat wearing latex, vinyl, or nitrile gloves like I live in for the most part of 5 years of grad school in the lab!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

Hello,

No.  But I frequently wash my hands, especially immediately before handling trains.

You should wash them afterwards, especially before handling food.

You should wash them afterwards, especially before handling food.

Yes, you don't know where the trains have been. ;)