former Conrail piers in South Philadelphia

miyakoji

Interesting video of coal and ore handling in South Philadelphia.  Video looks to be from the '90s.  I've seen hump yard classification, but I've never seen such steep ramps as in this video.  Also that thing (steam, hydraulic, is there a chain under there?) that pushes the cars up the ramp is impressive.  That must take a hell of a lot of force.  At the bottom of the ramp it's quite a difference in the position of the truck relative to the car's frame; I wouldn't have imagined that the main pin would permit (tolerate without breaking :) ) such free movement.

• Like 2

It looks like there are skeletal remains of the kick-back ramps at what Google shows as Windy Point pier.

I don't know if it was still in use, but I saw that heavy shunting engine with the huge buffers and offset cab when I was in Philly five years ago.

I enjoyed exploring Canal St., a wonderfully serpentine industrial way with rails in the cobblestones, and close to a dozen turnouts leading into old buildings, many decayed. I just found it on Google, between I-95 and the river, just north of the I-676 bridge.  I tried to find photos of it's operational days, but had no luck.

Charles,

The "barney" (that thing that pushes the cars up) is actuated by cable.

Cheers NB

Charles,

The "barney" (that thing that pushes the cars up) is actuated by cable.

Cheers NB

Thanks Nick - but I wasn't the one pondering it.

Thanks Nick - but I wasn't the one pondering it.

WOOPPPSSSS.....that's what happens when you go to bed at 4AM for the 3rd night in a row... :grin :grin :blush: :blush:

Cheers NB