Airbrushes?

Mudkip Orange

I've got a Badger since 1988. I don't used it for at least...10 years.

I use it again for 18 months, and it works fine.

The model doesn't exist anymore, but the Badger 150 Ex look like to be the same.

For the use I have, it's good for me.

But, be carefull of the compressors, and the paint you'll use.

I think 30% of the quality is due to the airbrush, 33% to the compressor and 33% to the paint. And 50% to your experience.  :grin

I have an Iwata Elipse airbrush, bottom feed  and a Thayer & Chandler top feed. I use the Iwata all the time, I love the way it handles and its comfortable in my hand. (Sort of like a favorite pen) I got the Top feed brush thinking I would use it on small details. (It was a store closing at Pearl paints 70% off, I took a chance)

I don't know where you are located but I buy am airbrush paints and supplies for Dixie Arts in New Orleans.

Here is their link:

http://www.dixieart.com/Dixie_Art_Supplies_Airbrush_Main_Page.html

It really comes down to a personal preference. I recommend going to a local Art supply store and see if you can try them out.

CaptOblivious

I used to use a Testor's unbranded double-action. My brother-in-law just gave me his old Paasche VL, apparently a standard in the art world, and it is an amazing leap up in quality and control. I don't have much else to compare it too, but the VLs are good quality, inexpensive, and readily available.

Don brings up another good point, single and double action airbrushes. This again is another option and personal taste.

I also recommend getting an air compressor if you plan on doing a lot of painting, cans of air run out quickly and the cost will add up in the long run.

CaptOblivious

I used to use cans of air, and I have to say that my new $60 Harbor Freight compressor is waaaaay nicer. Way nicer. And cheap?

Single-action means two controls, two functions: Press the button, and paint and air flow. You adjust amount of paint with a different control that can be a little fiddly to play with.

Double-action means one control, two functions: Press the button, and air flows. Pull the button back, and paint flows in different amounts.

Don't skip a double-action just because it sounds like it needs too much coordination, because the motion is actually quite natural.

I think a DA would be better for fancy weathering effects. But if you're just gonna be laying down base coats, a single action is likely the best way to go.

Mudkip Orange

Alright, so I'm either getting one of these tomorrow, or not at all. So choice is basically between a Badger 150 (the kit with the hoses and everything) and a Paasche model H. That's what the hobby shops around here have. Same basic price (89 vs 99).

Mudkip Orange

Ended up getting a Badger/Crescendo model 175, double action. Still haven't used it yet on account of Adult Swim / CSI:Miami reruns.