Stereotypes about different railway companies and their staff

trainsforever8

i doubt if railroads have stereotype, but rather standards. Hence, each railroad follows guidelines set forth by the gov't. To ensure high standards.

Edited by Kb4iuj
  • Like 1
Nick_Burman

What about Keihan railway? I like their trains a lot and I especially love their elegant looking limited express trains.

For me the Keihan 8000s are simply the most comfortable commuter trains I've ever been on. After a day traipsing round eastern Kyoto on foot, my buttocks kind of screamed in pleasure when I sat inside one of these trains at Demachiyanagi. They are that good. :-)

Cheers NB

• Like 1
trainsforever8

For me the Keihan 8000s are simply the most comfortable commuter trains I've ever been on. After a day traipsing round eastern Kyoto on foot, my buttocks kind of screamed in pleasure when I sat inside one of these trains at Demachiyanagi. They are that good. :-)

Cheers NB

Nice! Then I'll be looking forward to riding them!

By the way, like I said earlier, watch for massive orders for new trainsets (or a massive rebuilding program for older trainsets) in the Tokyo area starting later this year. With the 2020 Summer Olympics coming up, there will be a need to upgrade the image of commuter trains, and watch for at least Japanese and English in-train announcements for all trains in the Tokyo area. That means Tobu, Keisei and Keikyu trains that have only Japanese in-train announcements now will go bilingual.

Getting back on the original topic, I do agree that the comic originally shown was probably accurate several years ago, but JR West has upgraded their image (thanks to the 207, 221, 223, 225 and 321 EMU's now operational and soon the 323 EMU's coming to the Osaka Loop Line) and Hanshin is getting a lot of new trainsets over the next several years. I wonder has there been thought about introducing a really high-quality limited-express trainset running between Hanshin Umeda and Sanyo Himeji Stations to better compete against the JR West kaisoku 225's.

trainsforever8

By the way, like I said earlier, watch for massive orders for new trainsets (or a massive rebuilding program for older trainsets) in the Tokyo area starting later this year. With the 2020 Summer Olympics coming up, there will be a need to upgrade the image of commuter trains, and watch for at least Japanese and English in-train announcements for all trains in the Tokyo area. That means Tobu, Keisei and Keikyu trains that have only Japanese in-train announcements now will go bilingual.

Getting back on the original topic, I do agree that the comic originally shown was probably accurate several years ago, but JR West has upgraded their image (thanks to the 207, 221, 223, 225 and 321 EMU's now operational and soon the 323 EMU's coming to the Osaka Loop Line) and Hanshin is getting a lot of new trainsets over the next several years. I wonder has there been thought about introducing a really high-quality limited-express trainset running between Hanshin Umeda and Sanyo Himeji Stations to better compete against the JR West kaisoku 225's.

Is there any website in which I can follow the introduction of new rolling stock? I don't mind it being japanese.

It probably a good idea to have the nicer new trains in the area of the wealthy as they probably pay quite a lot in taxes and when their showcasing their businesses and have to ride the trains - well. First impressions are essential in conveying a positive business environment. As imagine them riding the train with a bunch of drunk US Navy sailors who have yet to master their liquoring techniques.

I hear that argument from Green Line riders on Metro every time WMATA receives new rolling stock and placed it on the Red Line. didn't matter that 65% of all Metro traffic was on the Red Line, and that 70% of he rolling stock was the original 1000-sereis dating back to the 70's and had the lowest reliability in the system. WMATA was always accused of class-baiting the new rolling stock to the "more affluent" lines. WMATA would always cave in and the Green Line would always have the newest equipment every time they received it, and Red Line riders would always have the oldest equipment, despite having the highest ridership, ridership density per train and traffic.

However, I'm pretty sure that such accusation are made by Hankyu pax in Kansai are rare. When it comes to rolling stock, Japanese trains are typically designed by type of service they will perform for the most part. You won't see a 209 in Limited Express service per say or a JR East 253 used on the Yamanote Line in Tokyo. there are of course exceptions.

Edited by 写真家
spelling

Hey, I live in Tokyo and ride the Tokyu lines quite often. Here are my two cents:

Tokyu: VERY fashionable. The Toyoko line runs from Shibuya through Daikanyama and Nakameguro, Jiyugaoka, Musashi-Kosugi, and eventually ends in Yokohama. These are all desirable places to shop/visit if not live. Some of the southern parts of the line are a little lower-income (I'm thinking south of Kikuna) but otherwise it's pretty desirable to live along it. Plus, through running onto the Minatomirai Line lets you go all the way through arguably the coolest parts of Yokohama. The Toyoko line's brother the Den-En-Toshi is just as fashionable. With the schools and new developments along it's route, and a final terminus at the Odakyu Enoshima line, this draws students, beachgoers, and families to use and live alone its line. On top of all this, they both through-run onto the Tokyo Metro and beyond with great connections at Shibuya Station. The Oimachi, Setagaya, Ikegami, Meguro, and Tamagawa lines are useful for those living in the area but are much less-travelled than the two giants. 

Edited by ote-m
  • Like 1
trainsforever8

That's interesting! I like Tokyu's trains, I do associate it with fashionable people as well, as I've seen in various youtube videos.

Something from Milan:

Trenord: people say it's Always late when it's not.

Trenitalia: people say it isn't late when it REALLY is.

Also we've our stereotypes about different railway services:

High Speed Trains : AMAZING STATE-OF-THE-ART ULTRA-SUPER-MODERN ULTRA-SUPER-FAST SERVICE

Intercity: Absetos-filled, "mussolini-era", old, dirty, about-to-blow up, steam-hauled Trains

Regional : like intercity but slower

Feeder Lines and Local Services : like Regional trains but from 1 to 4 coaches long.

Suburban & Urban railways: like local Services but bound for Auschwitz (sometimes double decker)

Metros : New York Subway in the 1970s (full of graffiti, crime and dirt, especially valid for Rome Metro)

Trams (and light rails) : autobuses on rails THAT ARE THE SOLUTION TO SMOG AND WILL MAGICALLY SEND AWAY POLLUTION MUCH LIKE HARRY POTTER AND HIS "EXPECTO PATRONUM".

Might seems exaggerated but this is what you read almost evryday on newspapers or commuters' blogs.

A Little note for "light rail": here it can mean evrything between a people mover and a Suburbana railway, including tramways, german "Stadtbahns", full-metros, monorails and sometimes even cable cars or ropeways!

Edited by DavideTreni
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1