Tokyo seaside scene

kvp

I just found a nice picture made by a webcam installed on the Tokyo waterfront and looking towards the Imperial palace. Imho it's a very interesting scene, with residential and office buildings, and with what appears to be a concrete mixing plant next to the water. Not much rail traffic on the picture, but Toyosu station with the terminus of the Yurikamome is right behind the buildings and the Keiyo line is off to the right. What i like is the atmosphere of the whole area, especially on this picture taken at dusk. Does anyone ever tried to modell such a scene?

post-1969-0-56275200-1438078358.jpg

post-1969-0-56275200-1438078358_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There are skyline Modelers that do this. Usually at like 1/500 or smaller scales though! There is a forum for these, if memory serves me right, that we have had links to from some posts. Also a big forum on skyscrapers that there are a lot of modeling posts on.

Would be hard to get that misty, twilight effect in a model! Nice shot.

Jeff

I was thinking in N scale and only taking the atmosphere of the scene. Add an elevated railroad bridge at the back, so some trains can move on it in the background. Something like a module with through tracks or a small b train layout. Yes, the lighting would be extremely hard, especially if one wants to model the whole day-night cycle together with the changing sky. Adding a moving ship or two would also be nice, possibly doable with the Tomix car system. 1:500 would be hard to do, but it needs less space and can fit on a shelf more easily, but not much movement or changing lighting is possible in that scale. I don't know much about showing mist in model either, but it looks nice and maybe doable on the background image.

What do you think, taking a ~150 meter (1 meter in Nj) cross section of this scene would look like and especially how would you add the rest of the skyline?

Mist, water, and light does not scale well down to 1/150 for this kind of very subtle effect. Even getting a good photo in 1:1 is tough with luck, position, light, atmosphere, etc!

Where would you draw the 150m cross section on this big shot? How deep would the scene be? Not much skyline in a 150m cross section unless wayyy back in a backdrop.

I've seen some small scale architectural models of areas around this size that were done very well with a good use of the mind's eye and perceived scenery in just the right combination in the size of a meter or so. Of course this kind of lighting and atmosphere were not there, but the scene really popped and was alive well in the mind's eye and gave a really close approximation of the real thing with very little detain at small scale. One was of Chicago downtown with rivers, bridges and high rises sort of similar and it was stunning.

Jeff