American PA loco

beakaboy

Hi all. I had an accident recently with a brand new Kato PA chassis (N scale) that I was attempting to modify to fit one of my NZ120 locos. It was not supported properly and broke right where the bogie sits and pivots. Did not realise how thin the chassis is here. Does anyone have any suggestions? or possibly a spare bare chassis without the internals. Kato Usa have no stock and I don't like their freight charges either. Any help appreciated.

post-1342-0-32680500-1436354789_thumb.jpg

post-1342-0-37841100-1436354798_thumb.jpg

Edited by beakaboy

it is made out of iron isn't it?  a few tap welds should fix it on super duper low heat/amp.  or lead weld it.

or drip solder in the crack and use the dripped solder like you would superglue.  or if it isn't required to conduct a current, then just super glue???  last one i'm really iffy about.

It's hard to tell much from these images (soft focus - looks like the keyboard was selected by the camera/phone), but my immediate response would be a good epoxy, reinforced by a shim of some sort if there's space for it.

Seems like the thinness is fairly apparent visually.

cheers guys and thanks. I have uploaded a couple of better!! photos. Looking at the chassis, I feel the only option is a shim glued on the inside of gear area , on either side. that's if there is enough clearance! Every other area needs to be available for bogie to sit and pivot smoothly, etc. will have to check gear drive for fit and clearance.