Garden Layout

wartsilaone

wartsilaone

Thanks Kiha_120. I had originally planned something a little bigger, as the photo shows but nothing says Japan like the Shinkansen and N gauge gave me the most options.

So far I happen to be building on some of the hottest days of the year so I've not had many problems with buckled rails but as you know the humidity levels on a hot day in Britain can be overwhelming and of course the winter months will be a challenge for track.

I'm looking into ways to cover the railway through the winter. I'm not likely to want to run trains outside in January.

I've sprayed the track with grey paint in an attempt to protect the plastic sleepers from too much UV sunlight but as you say Peco track can last outside for years.

My primary concern is the rain. Everything was been coated in varnish or exterior woodstain but I must avoid standing water at all costs as this will reek havoc in any number of ways throughout the year.

I'm sure I'll find that some things haven't lasted as long as others but that's true with most things.

I really want to get the railway done before the end of the summer so I can enjoy it before I have to shut it down until next year.

Alastair

post-3214-0-41954800-1437081730_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wartsilaone,

Very brave of you, will be very interesting to see your results over time! A few folks have takled about doing this and doing it for a while on forums over the years, but never much info back further down the road.

One thing that I would test for a while maybe is just running a couple of trains a lot out there to see how much dirt gets sucked into the gears and motors. This can be a bane indoors in cleaner conditions. I know here in the dc area we get a pretty good layer of grit on things outside pretty fast (I think mainly from car exhaust particulate, pollen, and dust) that I could see easily getting sucked into your engines. But will be really interesting to hear your experiences!

It's quite fun to see the trains running out doors! Been my dream in retirement to make a battery powered g scale 700 and make viaduct track around the large backyard! Someday!

Jeff

wartsilaone

Hi Rkyamberu, 

The back scene is made from several images from google and even a screen shot (or two) from one of the many videos on Youtube showing Japanese landscape.

I stitched them all together on photoshop and had it printed on vinyl by a company who make banners. The whole image, after stretching it a little is about 5 metres long.

post-3214-0-53532200-1437333568_thumb.jpg

wartsilaone

The railway's up and running. 

Just uploaded a couple of very short videos showing the 'Tohoku' ans 'Joestsu' sections of the railway. I'll post some photos later.

Alastair

• Like 4
Dorian Davis

Another day,another feature....Getting sick of me yet?

Nope! Am watching this thread with great interest.

Dorian

Amazing! I like reading this thread with great interest at how it's developed. Very nice! I love your huge Torii gate!

Your layout is huge enough to run full length shinkansens, so from your video, I think you need a E3 to couple with that E2 and that E4!  :)

wartsilaone

Thanks guys.

Absolutely right, I'm looking for both Komachi and Tsubasa E3s to run in various combinations as and when I like. E5 and E6 on the list too. There is still much work to collecting buildings and adding weather proof detail.