Micro 3D Printer

tossedman

I got a M3D printer in the mail the other day. Then promptly left the city to go camping for the week. Now that we're back Noah picked an item to print.

Here's the test print. Low resolution and fast.

M3D2.thumb.jpg.ca80c23e1f9e32d5f86aadab0c0fdba6.jpg

M3D1.thumb.jpg.7aa224ad9593542554d1c8e3c30b249d.jpg

I can see some fun coming up.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Re-added images
  • Like 2
wartsilaone

Definitely the future of modelling, just wish I could get my head round CAD. I'm more of an analogue kind of guy.

Ali

Nice! It's a very inexpensive printer indeed, though 50 micron accuracy is maybe still a bit too crude for my purposes. Then again, I'd like to see something detailed at that level.

CAD is easy if you have an idea of what you want to make, have a plan and can think in 3D. I use 123D Design, which is very basic and excellent for non-organic forms.

Yeah, it's not nearly the best thing out there but it'll do for learning and prototyping. My nine year old is enthralled with it already. I got into it on their Kickstarter campaign. About $100 cheaper than what they sell for now. Had to wait a year to get it though.

I use SketchUp for 3D design. They've just added a feature recently where anything uploaded to the 3D Warehouse can be saved as a .stl file. SketchUp is collaborating with Materialise to generate printable 3D files. Looks promising.

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 1

Very true. I think when the little one in our place is a bit older, we will also get a printer for learning purposes. A very clever investment!

P.s. Maybe I should also get on with learning how to use SketchUp, as you can also add photographs/texture to the files for full-colour printing. With the advances of this technology, painting and decals may become a thing of the past very soon.

• Like 1

My son Noah took about 38 seconds to discover the Thingieverse and he found our first train related file to download. We printed it out at the highest resolution and here are the results. It fits well but the top orange pieces don't fit too well, they're just sitting there at the moment. The other pieces fit well though. Mind you, this is a file we downloaded and printed so I cannot attest to the accuracy of its measurements. Took about 4 hours to print, so no mass production will be going on here. It's not perfect but he already wants another one, so I guess it's good enough.

m3d3.thumb.jpg.91f42f36e9fce5d5e2b447c9863a3e5a.jpg

m3d4.thumb.jpg.6b6d38febd43ca25b602ee2832d6d8cc.jpg

m3d5.thumb.jpg.b4cf1560e7e7b92c2af39a553c173ce6.jpg

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Re-added images
  • Like 1

Thanks Jeff. I've already introduced him to SketchUp so it shouldn't be too long before he starts to get creative.

Todd