40 geiko and maiko ride Shinkansen to Tokyo

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Recently a group of 40 geiko and maiko in full dress took the Tokaido shinkansen to Tokyo as part of a Kyoto tourism destination campaign event.

Will Japan raise the numbers of Geiko and Maiko as part of preserving traditional cultures? As I read on some sources, numbers of Geiko and Maiko are getting lower for many years.. It seemed that Japanese govt tried to recall their past glory cultures. Example, the tokyo station was renovated and returned to the old design which is a lot better in my opinion.. I myself respect the profession of Geiko as traditional art performers which gives exclusive impression to the art lovers..

bikkuri bahn

It may be it's no longer a particularly attractive career option for young people.  Back when Japan was a developing country, it was likely a good option for those seeking a way up out of poverty or independence from family, but nowadays, there are easier options to become self-supporting.  This issue is also affecting sumo too. 

They should make this an official annual event. Japan fascinates people not only through their high technology, but also in terms of their embrace of their history and culture. I love how the Japanese still keeps traditions in this high-tech world today, through their various festivals (though some a little... ), and these festivals not only drive tourism, but is also a good way to foster relationships between the younger and older generation.

It smooth my heart to see tradition mixed uniquely and perfectly with high technology, demonstrating a unique and beautiful blend~  

• Like 1

And all 40 of them riding the Green Car, too. That must have cost somebody a LOT of yen to do--unless JR Central paid for the cost as part of the tourism promotion campaign.

Edited by Sacto1985
  • Like 1

I'd suggest a joint venture.  With JRE+JRW now taking some tourist dollars into Toyama/Kanazawa area due to the new Shinkansen.  And JRC missing out, they are looking at enticing the Tokyo tourists back to Kyoto area.

I'd suggest a joint venture.  With JRE+JRW now taking some tourist dollars into Toyama/Kanazawa area due to the new Shinkansen.  And JRC missing out, they are looking at enticing the Tokyo tourists back to Kyoto area.

I don't know how much more JR West is enticing tourists from the Keihanshin region to visit the Hokuriku region--after all, Osaka to Kanazawa is still being handled by the Thunderbird limited express running on zairaisen tracks.