Aoshima 1/45 OJ scale dd51 plastic model

bikkuri bahn

It's not even that expensive actually. Is it a kit or a completed model?

I'm not going to buy it though. ;)

Is it possible to motorize it? What would be the minimal curve radius?

Sure - if you don't mind giving up the detailed engine compartment.

You might not even have to sacrifice that with an O-scale trolley underfloor chassis.

Radius would depend on the chassis you use.

I was thinking along the line of self powered motor bogies. The problem is the middle bogie and the side swing mechanism or the lack of it. This also determines the minimum radius together with the coupler mounts.

If it helps, you could leave the middle bogie unpowered - might also help to retain the cab detail.

You would need to supply your own sliding mount for it. 

I'm sure there are plenty of examples on the web - even for powered bogies.

The middle bogie is unpowered on the original too and the 0 scale motor bogies are self contained, which means there are no parts above the bogie pin. The middle bogie is special, since the mainframe has to be built in a way to allow side movement. Usually this means more side movement than is possible on the real train. If this model can't be pushed through 0 gauge curves manually, then it would need lots of hacking to make it motorised and running on tight curves. In the worst case (if the bogie can't move freely below the mainframe detail at all) it could even need a complete slightly off scale replacement. Not to mention if the the original one can be kept, it still needs isolated moving metal wheels for two rail DC/DCC operation.

In short if the model is meant to (or at least prepared to) be motorised, then it's easier than when it's a strict static model. The differences could be so large as between a Tomytec train collection train and a del prado static item. The latter usually need a complete mainframe repacement even to be made rollable as the original bogies can't even turn.

ps: I was thinking about this, since i know a local 0 gauge club with a modular exhibition layout that is work in progress...

In short if the model is meant to (or at least prepared to) be motorised, then it's easier than when it's a strict static model.

I think we can assume that it's meant purely as a static-display model, and probably unlikely that the middle bogie has the proto sliding capability.

i was going to buy one, but backed out of it. What do I need an "S scale model for"?

As it's bad enough owning a DD51 in N scale with those center trucks. Though, I wonder how many folks in Japan will mod the thing out and probably write an article for a magazine about it. Lots of detail, but are the parts numbered. For easy identification for the non-Japanese readers?

I've actually checked the model and it does have a swiveling middle bogie, but only as much as the prototype. It's not S scale, but 0j and the gauge is 0 too. So it can be motorised but building or buying two power bogies and metal wheels for the middle bogie would cost some and then you still have the problem of having a layout with 6 meter curves and turnouts. On the bright side, if someone does make it motorised, the electronics can be hidden below the mainframe. (even with DCC and sound, but a straight DC conversion is just adding the motor bogies)

I have taken the plunge and purchased one, I did via Ebay UK and I'm advised it should be with me in about a weeks time. I'll post progress of the build. The photos I have found on the internet show a few shots of people holding the completed loco and it's huge.

Are any of these DD51 in a narrow gauge configuration in Japan? Finding powered trucks/bogies in a small size like a real traction motor might be the real challenge.

Yes, the DD51 is cape gauge. There are several 0 gauge and 0m gauge motor bogies and single axle motor assemblies (usually nose suspended) available from various german manufacturers.

I have taken the plunge and purchased one, I did via Ebay UK and I'm advised it should be with me in about a weeks time. I'll post progress of the build. The photos I have found on the internet show a few shots of people holding the completed loco and it's huge.

42cm in length?

Well I was seriously impressed how quickly the loco arrived - 9 days ago. Eye watering was the UK customs levy I had to pay £34. The loco looks impressive, many parts to assemble - plastic parts pre-coloured (blue/grey/black etc). Plus there is a fret of metal fittings - for radiator covers etc, plus metallic numerals, so well thought out.

Impressive is the artwork on the box, I thought it was a photo of a life size DD51, and it appears it's a seriously good (airbrush?) painting. Other than that I can't do anymore until this Friday coming - as it's my birthday present!

I'll update via the post I started on my efforts in Japanese O gauge, once the build starts. To close, from what I've seen already & the loco versus the money paid, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend - usual disclaimer I'm not a relative of the manufacturer just a happy customer.

I've noticed in pictures the paint scheme for the DD51 has a few variety's. But, why do a few have a black cab and a red hood.. I just noticed these tonight in one of the magazines. Of course, blue hoods for polar regions & red in the warmer areas.

There are different paints for each era and company. The oldest is the JNR paint in red/white. Then after the privatisation, each company changed the paint and the JRF (freight) made a brand new one. The fully blue color is actually for blue train passanger services. The blue and the black cab versions are modernised ones and the prototype was brown. One interesting color is the white with blue stripes euroliner passenger paint. The only paint used everywhere and still in use on a few locos is the classic JNR paint.

Edited by kvp

I tellya the DF200 is a sharp looking locomotive. I'll bet Canadian National would buy a few of their locomotives with the snow thrower cars and maybe the solid blade

You guys who talked yourself out of buying this thing need to

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10320841

get one at this price. Cause I just checked recently about getting one and they were sold out. Hence, they probably buy in volume to get that discount. Meaning when there sold out, you'll have to wait a long time till another sale or next Christmas. I would buy a few and then take them by some Japaese resturants to put in their window - meaning sell them one all painted. As I would imagine all Japanese people have seen one of these things - hence, it'll give the guy patron something to talk about. Unless, she knows all about them.

Though, do check eBay before buying as you might find one already built for sale and the resturant might want to shop around. Though, maybe at yours they might like to barter with you (10 buffet meals for 1 DD51)

Edited by Kb4iuj

I expect these aoshima models stay around a bit more. Hobby link Japan has them stir at a cheaper price

http://hlj.com/product/AOS01000/Rld

I was tempted last weekend as it would have been about 10000'yen with the hlj sale! But it's 5000 yen to ship! Too big for Sal unfortunately...

I doubt it will come up for auction cheaper on ebay from Japanese sources, maybe someone here gets one and tries to sell it off but those folks usually try to get thier money out of it including shipping to the us they paid. This is the case usually with the 1/50 stem loco models, but once and a while those go for a song on ebay!

Jeff