Club module

Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

G'day Gang,

I got side tracked with my layout and ended up building a new club module with a fellow member. The module is 6 feet long with the ship being 4 ft long. We figure the ship is closer to Z scale but it still looks ok.

Spiff

post-387-0-51803000-1434805842_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-69331100-1434805906_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-08784200-1434805933_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-85864900-1434805953_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-32003500-1434805983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 6

Spiff,

Fantastic! Rarely see modules with Ships! Quite impressive! Where did the ship model come from? One of those display model companies? I've thought a few times when one comes up on ebay at around n scale but are usually 4-5' long and shipping is killer and I hate cruise ships (worked too many years in se Alaska), but they do fascinate me! You can cheat a lot with ships like this, especially being in the background. If you plop some z scale architectural figures on the ship no one will notice and the ship will seem right to them. Workers on the dock can be n scale but because more in the foreground and in a different setting the eye won't notice the difference and the effect will also deepen the impression of the module in the viewer's mind's eye.

Kudos! Good sidetrack.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the comments guys.

The ship came from a mattress store of all places. They sold the ships as some sort of decoration for sleep chests. The other guy I did the module with did some repair work for the store and they gave him the ship.  We did put 100 Z scale people on the ship but we`ll need to add more.

tossedman, the plan is to take it to Calgary next year.

Jeff, funny you should mention Alaska   lol

https://youtu.be/_MrhP3XOYMM

http://youtu.be/AeNa1LuyQvM

Jon

post-387-0-71797800-1434859199_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-52954800-1434859226_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-29233700-1434859267_thumb.jpg

amazing model ! The module looks brilliant as well! Really enjoyed the videos. That's an impressive number  of coaches.

• Like 1

More people! More people! Amazing how many people it takes to fill a scene. I did about 10 kato platforms for the New York show last year and used like almost 250 people and I look at those platforms now and they don't seem very crowded when I look at them now!

Jeff

The average capacity of a 20 meter car is around 300 people and if a station exchanges 30% of them, then each 14 cm platform can realistically have around 100 people on them for each direction. For a 10 car commuter train, that's 2000 people for a crowded island platform.

Spaceman Spiff

Jeff, as you know you can never have enough people. But man is it time consuming.

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

LOL, yes it is! And only affordable with the Chinese architectural figures!

Jeff

Well I ever tried using the absolutely affordable that figures.. but it turned out to be quiet useless... :) it said containing 100 pcs, but it only came out less than 100, around 90 or 80 and most of them are not in proper shapes.. no legs, no hands, etc.. LoL..

Spaceman Spiff

LOL, yes it is! And only affordable with the Chinese architectural figures!

Jeff

Using Woodland Scenics peeps in any quantity would bankrupt me lol

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Afaik there is a 100 pack of unpainted figures on the spure available from Noch or someone else. That's very similar to the chinese ones, just with better quality control and slightly higher price (and completly unpainted). Getting and painting 4000 of them for a 4 track double island platform station is still a tough job.

Those are the preiser packs, I think with 125 figures in each. I've gotten them for $7-10 with some lurking on ebay, usually around $28 street. 1/160, but about right for 1/150 Japanese. I have these and they are good castings. Some work fine for japanese, but some are a bit too euro maybe. Painting them does take a steady hand and time. Helps to bulk paint them one layer at a time, but still tedious. Does add variety! The seated people are the best variety out there for affordable (I'd you are willing to paint them) for seated people if you need to see all of the person.

Really depends on how close the viewer will be. If 2'+ then the cheap architectural figures can do well to make the crowds. A little quick dab of painting to get a greater variety of colors helps a lot. If a little closer then put the nicer tomytec, woodland scenics, etc in the front lines and in the places of more interesting scenes that the viewer will focus on. If you want it to be great all the way into closeup photography then you get stuck with having to use the expensive figures everywhere!

Yes adding the proper amount of figures to mist town, let alone city scenes can break the piggy bank!

Cheers

Jeff

Yeah when I was a kid I use to have a side job painting 28mm metal soldiers for a local chap who cast and sold them. He had a crew of about a dozen of us kids as we had the steadiest hands for 6-0 brushes! Was fun as I could do it while watching tv and we got paid per piece. Doing 12mm 40 years later.... Bit more of a challenge!

They are 3d printing some nice 1/144 figures now at shapeways and they are not horrible price. Soon I'm guessing 3d painting will also come in to paint your 3d printed figures at the services like shapeways.

Can never have too many figure!

A couple of years back I went with curt over to custom rail Modelers in Baltimore md when they were working on his layout.mat the time they were doing a big HO layout for a museum in puerto Rico and it had a small ball stadium.mwas going to be too much to fill it with several thousand figures so they printed rows of them in 2d and laser cut them out. Worked great as you looked at it from about 5'. They put some 3d figure at strategic places and it was really not noticeable that 99% were only 3d cutouts.

I use to use cut out 2 d photos of people in 3/4" scale exhibit models and in the photos no one could tell and it made the exhibits look very real as you eye saw the photorealistic person so overrode the depth of field and lighting issues that can plague photographing models like this to look real!

Jeff