Got the Japanese railway itch again!

grumbeast

Well,

My main layout is underway (mainly Canadian CN) , but I've got space in my studio where I'm going to build a portable Japanese layout. I've got about 8ft by 2-3ft. Finances are very tight so it's going to be mainly a double track diorama loop to show off and run my J-Trains. I'll try and use what I have already ( from when I earned a lot more!). So I dusted off my stuff and this is what I have ( not including scenic materials)

post-146-0-62460500-1434666419_thumb.jpgpost-146-0-54036100-1434666431_thumb.jpg

Running ideas around my head right now, I'm thinking one side urbanism, the other elevated viaduct through countryside

Glad to be back!

Graham

• Like 1

Well, an update.

Just had the best Fathers Day ever!!

I got that most precious of gifts.... time...

post-146-0-13015000-1434915228_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-56514700-1434915297_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-79647700-1434915422_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-29306000-1434915533_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-29651200-1434915693_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Wow a old skool intro Kiha 71.  Been eyeing off a few yahoo auctions with modern day 4 car in it recently.

Edited by katoftw

Graham,

Welcome back! Hey this looks like great fun! The U form modules work very well for this. Will be much fun to watch come together.

Jeff

Graham...you did this all on Father's Day?!......wow were you busy! You really got a lot accomplished. Congratulations

Yeah it was great Bernard! I just put some Ai Otsuka on, cleared some space and was brought coffee and cake by my wife and daughter! Really was best Father's Day ever. I'm now ready to start fleshing in the geographical features easy for terrain. I think I'm going to line the short tunnel and extend the mountain down into the valley to act as a bit of scenic break

Btw. Katoftw... The KiHa is my all time fave I bought many years ago.. My ambition is to take that train one day!

Cheers

Graham

Well, an update.

Just had the best Fathers Day ever!!

I got that most precious of gifts.... time...

So I started building the woodwork for a small Japanese modular layout

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is what I originally intended

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I ended up with this....

But then looking at it, you know, it looks more like a small diorama layout than something modular, that centre gap begs to be filled... So I've decided that this will be a small layout rather than modular...

So I did some more work

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Added a small platform station on the inner loop. Now sure my Shinkansen aren't coming out to play on this, but I've had an idea for a modular layout for then for some time.. And this gives me an excuse to buy some small 2 car sets

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So I put in some terrain formers and started to play with building placement.. The right hand side will be landscape, a small tunnel and the bathhouse, the centre will be a valley, and the right a small town.

Just to finish the day off, and to complete my happiness, I pulled my favourite J-Train out and ran it around a few times

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And finished off with a small video!

https://youtu.be/xfdX8nzkVUE

So I hope you enjoy this progress! Still have a lot to do but off to a flying start!!

"This video contains content from AVEX GROUP HOLDINGS.INC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

:(

So the music companies are even DMCA'ing amateur model train youtube videos now? You can take things too far.

The music does work over here though, probably only taken down in Japan because Avex is Japanese.

Edited by Densha

Nice layout. I really dig the big valley/dip in the middle. Lots of room for some cool scenes there!

So the music companies are even DMCA'ing amateur model train youtube videos now? You can take things too far.

The music does work over here though, probably only taken down in Japan because Avex is Japanese.

Actually it isn't taking things too far, as they are not discriminatory. I've had YT take one or two videos down because some of my work was used and not properly credited, which is part of the agreement I have licensed my stuff under. If you use copyright accordingly (or just don't redistribute copyrighted material), nothing can happen.

Btw. Katoftw... The KiHa is my all time fave I bought many years ago.. My ambition is to take that train one day!

It is running well for a 9 year old model.