Hi from UK!

wehf100

Hello all,

I'm new on here. Situated in the UK (Bristol). Long time 'N' gauger, but considering something completely different and moving to Japanese N scale. I have built and exhibited a few model railways over the years, but after my work started sending me to SEA and occasionally Japan itself I've become really interested in the railways in the region, especially the early days when exported Vulcan, Beyer and Yorkshire locos were pounding the rails.  

Anyway, I'll see you around the forums. I have lots of ideas for my layout, but need to really start researching properly if I'm to get anything built this summer!

cheers!

Will

Hi wehf100, welcome to the forum.  We've had a few threads discussing layout plans, and of course if you start your own everyone will have the proverbial 2 cents (at least :)) to add.

Welcome Will!

You found the loonie bin for Japanese trains! Glad the japanese trains sucked you in. I think you will really enjoy the variety of trains and scenes you can pack into even a small space and still be totally protypical! Allows for a lot of creativity and being able to do very fun and non standard rr scenes.

You'll do find quite a few other Brits and British Japanese layouts around here and out on the show circuit!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Iroinically, space isn't a motivating factor- or rather it is, but not for the reason you think. I have a good 18-20ft length to play with, which is quite generous by UK model layout standards and really lends itself to 'big landscape' modelling. My current British layout is based in the UK Peak District- big hills- small trains!  The only limiting factors on my proposed layout will probably be the cost of good quailty wood for the benchwork and how much time I have!

My plan is for a 16ftx 3ft 'watch the trains go by' continuous run (storage sidings at rear), heavily scenic with lots of dramatic Japanese rural landscape. No features such as a station, but to add interest a simple branch line junction- leading off to an industry. This photo gives a bit of a feel. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%89%E8%8F%B1%E7%9F%B3%E7%82%AD%E9%89%B1%E6%A5%AD%E5%A4%A7%E5%A4%95%E5%BC%B5%E9%89%84%E9%81%93%E7%B7%9A#/media/File:Oyubari_Coal_Mine_1912.jpg  

I aim to set the layout in the late 30s- I'd have loved to have done 1920s or earlier but I think that is impracticable just now. 1930s I think it is just about possible using rtr locos (perhaps with some judicious modding), but I am little worried that no 1930s era rolling stock is available. That'll probably be my first question in the main forum!

Thanks guys,

Will

Will,

sounds great! you can even have a small town bit crammed in somewhere as you can see those erupt very quickly in a rural scene! will really look forward to seeing what you do. not many do exclusively rural scenes like that and with that amount of space you can really do some spectacular scenery! transitions can happen really rapidly in japan and not the same zoning as in other places in the world.

cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4

Welcome! For pre WWII rolling stock, you can actually find quite a large selection of cars, but they are usually printed for the postwar JNR. The early JNR cars are mostly the same as the 1930-1940 JGR cars (even the paint), so they just have to be relabeled.