Sign in to follow this  
Guest keio6000

Plarail

cteno4

Yeah hs does not show any new plarail advance after 2016 and is all sold out. Not much pops up on ebay anymore either. Too bad as it looked fun and a bit more of a transition for kids to full n scale stuff. It was a great idea to utilize the regular plarail track.

jeff

chadbag
1 hour ago, Need for High Speed said:

I gave up my brio tracks and trains when I was 13 and  I will never part with them.I still play with my few Takara Tomy trains every now and then and I'm 17.

Also your lucky to get to go to japan I wish I could go. but I've been to China at least! Also I don't really have any family members who are  interested in trains like I am.

But Takara Tomy did sell some stuff in the US a long time ago but as Toys R us is going down the hole they stopped selling stuff in the US a while ago. But the Thomas stuff sells well although I owned vary few Thomas toys. But Geotrax was always a favorite they are not made anymore.

Tomy (before merger with Takara) sold Plarail in the US:  Both the Thomas stuff and US trains in Plarail format (Amtrak etc).  A specialty toy shoppe* often had some in but since they were not the Japanese engines we did not care much.   That stuff disappeared and then they just sold the Thomas stuff here and then they lost the Thomas franchise in the US so now the Thomas trains which are Plarail compatible (engines are exactly the same but made in China instead of Thailand or where ever but the track is different, though they did sell an adapter for a while -- the track is different due to Tomy owning the Plarail track and not the new maker). 

My son probably has 30 or 40 Plarail non-Thomas engine/Shinkansen/DMU/EMU  sets and several bins of track.  We've set up huge tracks around the house or around my parents' house.  Great fun.

*As the specialty type stores often spell it.

chadbag
32 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Yeah hs does not show any new plarail advance after 2016 and is all sold out. Not much pops up on ebay anymore either. Too bad as it looked fun and a bit more of a transition for kids to full n scale stuff. It was a great idea to utilize the regular plarail track.

jeff

Too bad as my daughter liked it and it was a good bridge to N scale trains.

Need for High Speed

Yeah the Plarail advance did make a good bridge to N scale but it didn't have very good motors if I recall hearing from people. but the regular stuff makes a good bridge to HO scale. I don't have any picture of my HO and Tomy next to each other.

30 or 40 sets? Wow that's a lot, well I had that much in wooden tracks. I only have like five plarail sets and only two of them had trains with them. But one is a Hayabusa I bought my self when I was in China in 2013 and the other is a CRH2c a Chinese train and both of those sets were purchased in China. But I do have a Plarail Monorail and its not a Disney one.(whew)

Kamome
22 hours ago, railsquid said:

Somehow I think I will survive without either

I’m with you there, Squid

Seen a lot running on rental layouts but I’m still not a fan of the aesthetics.

• Like 1

Densha

When you have too much free time and just decide to recreate the full Tokyo metro system with Plarail:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

railsquid

At the current rate of expansion, the Chez Railsquid living room will soon be looking like that...

• Haha 4

Kamome
On 1/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, Densha said:

When you have too much free time and just decide to recreate the full Tokyo metro system with Plarail:

But you would, wouldn’t you?