Plarail

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

it seems that circumstances may be compelling me to start in a new scale sometime early next year - plarail.

i guess that's a good thing. 

:)

and here's the thing: if i knew then what i know now, about dollar per unit fun, i would have started with plarail from the very beginning instead of the100 n gauge sets i have.

unfortunately the plarail keio 6000 (2nd from left)  looks pretty terrible. the others look quite ok.

maxresdefault.jpg

Does this event include lots of drool?

They are fun, I've often thought of getting a pile to have for the kids at shows,,but I'd probably end up playing plarail all day and ignoring the layout! I do have fun with my windup capsule trains, sort of mini plarail!

Jeff

• Like 2
Guest keio6000

potentially, yes, drool.  but honestly we've not told any people we actually know personally, since, well, we're not young and it's best to give these things some time given all the possible pitfalls.

but still... plarail! i think i'm commited to it in any case :)

Does this event include lots of drool?

They are fun, I've often thought of getting a pile to have for the kids at shows,,but I'd probably end up playing plarail all day and ignoring the layout! I do have fun with my windup capsule trains, sort of mini plarail!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I really like the capsule plarail and have a few, one of my current favourites is a Hankyu 9000 series (battery powered one) :grin

Desban,

you have one that is battery powered?! mine are tiny like 1" long and would have to be a coin cell or shorty 3v to fit and then not much room for a motor!

mine are the ones you get in the 100Y vending machines.

jeff

• Like 1

Keio,

wow, best wishes and luck! I know that drill from quite a few friends.

toys are a fantastic bennie!

jeff

Desban,

you have one that is battery powered?! mine are tiny like 1" long and would have to be a coin cell or shorty 3v to fit and then not much room for a motor!

mine are the ones you get in the 100Y vending machines.

jeff

Hi Jeff, yes I have some battery powered capsule plarail. When they have a release of models they usually have one set which is powered so that makes for more of a challenge to get a powered unit or loco from the vending machines.

Here is a photograph of my Hankyu 9000 series and also an EF66. 

post-766-0-33721300-1434653447_thumb.jpg

post-766-0-82750800-1434653452_thumb.jpg

Plarail is amazing! Really! Cheaper, large range of trains, and an option to go Plarail Advance for more details without having to change tracks or whatsoever!

Here are some juicy videos of Plarail:

A Plarail Shinkansen yard!

I think you might have seen this before, Keio Rail-Land Plarail

Keio Plarail museum!

The famous column circular layout. Are we there yet?

Lastly a Plarail Advance Shinkansen video.

Enjoy Plarail!

Today, my son, my wife and I visited a mall where they had a small corner for kids to play with Plarail trains. My wife actually never has seen one up close and got pretty excited by them. "Oh, they are bigger than Brio and lighter!" So, quickly it was decided that my son also should have one. After lunch we got to TamTam across the street, where papa was allowed to buy an Odakyu 50000 type VSE. They are actually for 3 years and up, but we will only let him play with it with close supervision. It will be the first of many. I think this is a good excuse to start collecting Odakyu trains. I don't want to waste money on them in N-gauge, but Plarail is a great alternative for this.

Edited by Toni Babelony

I thought I was the only one who'd bought a small handful of these!

I have three Ef66s (one with a couple of container wagons), the Cassiopeia with the EF81, and a random Taki 43000 in green/grey. Oh, and some underground station parts.

Probably won't buy any more as my urge for cute caricature trains is now satisfied by Bandai B-Train Shorties (which have the major advantage of running on standard N scale track), but then again...

Uh HO, now the wife is bit! More fun for toni! Of course we know that supervision means toni playing trains!

Jeff

Ours comes out of storage once per week.  Some that returned with us from Japan have been destroyed in normal young boy fashion.  Others live on.

Edited by katoftw

And here is a NEW Plarail toy!

Remember we heard about a transforming E5 Hayabusa toy? It has now been released on Plarail portal!

Really interesting! Watch the video to see the transformation. Very good idea to use the coupling process as a good way to transform, and a lot of 'spring-open' mechanism were also included. An E6 is also in the works and will be able to not only couple together with the E5 but transform together also to form a larger robot!

• Like 1

Wow! Batteries must loose current quickly, but I guess if low electrolytes then would work for a bit. Looks like a one shot thing.

Fun when you are bored with running plarail the regular ways!

Wonder if there are videos of trying to jump them or good plarail crashes?!

Jeff

Somehow I think I will survive without either.

On 17/12/2016 at 1:47 AM, cteno4 said:

Stupid question. This is Japan.

• Haha 1
Need for High Speed
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:47 AM, cteno4 said:

Wow! Batteries must loose current quickly, but I guess if low electrolytes then would work for a bit. Looks like a one shot thing.

Fun when you are bored with running plarail the regular ways!

Jeff

I have seen a lot of Lego train crashes I've done a lot of them my self too. but wooden gauge and Tomy gauge are about the same I used to run Tomy on my wooden railways back then.

besides has any one just went on Yahoo Auctions ordered a huge lot of usedTakara Tomy and what ever comes is what came? what key word should I use in yahoo auction for that?

2 minutes ago, Need for High Speed said:

besides has any one just went on Yahoo Auctions ordered a huge lot of usedTakara Tomy and what ever comes is what came? what key word should I use in yahoo auction for that?

"ジャンク" and "まとめ" are useful search terms.

Need for High Speed
14 minutes ago, railsquid said:

"ジャンク" and "まとめ" are useful search terms.

I have no clue what that says because I cant read Japanese but I assume its what I am looking for.

I found nothing pla rail related, The search terms must be really broad because so much other stuff comes up and it takes a while to scroll through page after page until I find a TOMY lot.  Can you just send me a link to a Tomy specific search. Thanks.

Edited by Need for High Speed

"プラレール" is the Japanese term for "Plarail", the others mean "junk" (which would be better translated as "not in mint condition") and "job lot".

The top page for Plarail stuff is here.

3 hours ago, railsquid said:

Somehow I think I will survive without either.

Stupid question. This is Japan.

Lol, great squid, only in japan would there be a mascot catching the flying train! Thanks!

jeff

6 hours ago, Kamome said:

For those who missed out on the Kato one and fancy a change of scale.

305E2132-F8AA-4105-9840-7A4F7049807A.jpeg

That is awesome.  Can't show my son.  

We got our first Plarail set (A 500 set) when my son was like 8 months old, on our first trip to Japan.   Between Thomas and the Japanese engines, he accumulated many many many many sets and he still looks at them and picks a few up sometimes when we are there (he just turned 15).  The one he wanted this last time was not available stand alone, only in a large set, so he skipped it and bought KATO trains.

My daughter, to be different, started getting the Plarail Advanced stuff a few trips ago and has a few sets, but this last time we did not see any, so it appears to have not taken off enough for Tomy Takara to continue?

Need for High Speed
59 minutes ago, chadbag said:

That is awesome.  Can't show my son.  

We got our first Plarail set (A 500 set) when my son was like 8 months old, on our first trip to Japan.   Between Thomas and the Japanese engines, he accumulated many many many many sets and he still looks at them and picks a few up sometimes when we are there (he just turned 15).  The one he wanted this last time was not available stand alone, only in a large set, so he skipped it and bought KATO trains.

My daughter, to be different, started getting the Plarail Advanced stuff a few trips ago and has a few sets, but this last time we did not see any, so it appears to have not taken off enough for Tomy Takara to continue?

I gave up my brio tracks and trains when I was 13 and  I will never part with them.I still play with my few Takara Tomy trains every now and then and I'm 17.

Also your lucky to get to go to japan I wish I could go. but I've been to China at least! Also I don't really have any family members who are  interested in trains like I am.

But Takara Tomy did sell some stuff in the US a long time ago but as Toys R us is going down the hole they stopped selling stuff in the US a while ago. But the Thomas stuff sells well although I owned vary few Thomas toys. But Geotrax was always a favorite they are not made anymore.

Edited by Need for High Speed