Trains ID & comparison

FastFranz

Ciao,

Time, for me, to return to Italy (holidays exists, you know ...) in the meantime I'm trying to solve a puzzle. Check images and, just in case, try to help me:

CRH-380A Vs ICE III: are those trains the same (thus simply carrying different liveries)? To me it likes so ...

ICE III - Minitrix: provided the first statement is correct is there any chance to turn this one - 2nd pic - into its chinese counterpart?

Details of the livery, markings and alike are availavle on line, and where? I could try to get the "german trio" during my staying at home took it back to Africa and see if something sorts out.

TIA.

Francesco

post-2923-0-05294600-1434555408_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-57261300-1434555531_thumb.jpg

There is a bit of a mislabeling around these, as there are only 3 sets with the velaro design that were imported from Germany. They do look very similar to the one in your picture, which is (i assume) is a pre sales repaint of a german set. The 3 A sets were later renamed to C, as the main production versions got the A, which is based on a japanese train. The production sets from the siemens family have a slightly different nose/headlight design and wider bodies (similar to the Russian export version) and placed in the C group.

This is one of the german sets:

300px-CRH3.JPG

And one of the A group sets: (it's actually a shinkansen)

300px-CRH380Afromshanghai.jpg

The fact that the C group was announced as the A group and later moved and the whole class contains 5 different train types makes it a bit confusing.

Ciao,

Having started my (own) research on the matter only thing sure. to me, is there's nothing sure on the matter ... Those trains SHOULD be, commonly, known as Harmony Bullet train: hope this clue will unveil me - if true - more details. But question is; have I any chance tho turn the "german trio" into the corresponging "chinese trio"? Any info on the matter is interesting to me!.

Francesco

PS: I know a "three unit" train is rather unprototyical but since it's my first attempt to do so I'd like to reduced the "risked money" to the bare minimum. LOL!

Yes, the 3 german ones are more or less off the shelf velaros, so just change the stripe color and fix the nose paint. And manybe remove the restaurant car, as the chinese versions don't seem to have one. This might involve moving the motor to another car, but the shells are similar, so any middle car with a pantograph should be ok.

SimensVelaroChina-02.jpg

SimensVelaroChina-01.jpg

Ciao,

God and bad news at the same time. ;)

GOOD ONE: trains are quite similar (I won't be that fussy on the withe/blue hue even if any piece of information is welcome).

BAD ONE: the need, or suggestion, to change the restaurant car. This starter set has some really od couplers and - for that reason - I haven't be able to find any "add-on" for the german train ... Of course I refer to Italy, may be elsewhere things are different but, under the circumstances iìm facing, i won't be able to look abroad.

I have still few days, before departure, to think about it. Then I'll try to get one of those start set and go ahead, beginning with the repaint/details change duty.

Will ask info - along the path - since this is my very first attempt to "customize" a model train. Where am I supposed to post my questions on the matter?

THX!

Francesco

The couplers are standard as far as the manufacturer goes. The extra cars can be bought off ebay, even in single car packs, so you can get 6 more cars, just check the correct number of doors and pantographs for each car. Imho you can practice the repaint on the restaurant car, since that won't be needed in the final consist. For customization, it's best to start a new topic among the other personal projects.

The couplers are standard as far as the manufacturer goes.

Ciao,

NOPE! The "Add-On" coaches have different couples from those of (my) start se: it's, actually, a cheap unit (ie: no lights of any kind).

See pics t (couplers - short - in the bag are those I have as spare parts, the Others - long - are the couplers commonly in use) for differences

It's puzzling but I know I'm not the only one with this ... "problem"!!! ;)

Francesco

post-2923-0-79983200-1434573262_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-27848600-1434573282_thumb.jpg

These are standard NEM close couplers, you can even get rapidos and pop them in instead of these. The middle sized ones are good to couple a pair or coaches needing a short and a long.

Both of my Minitrix ICE3 trains have the short drawbars on all cars, and my Fleischmann ICE1 set uses the longer drawbars on all cars. As "kvp" noted, the drawbars simply have standard NEM coupler snap-in mounts on both ends of the drawbar, instead of using 2 couplers, each with an NEM snap-in mount at the back end of the coupler shank.

I don't believe any of the Minitrix ICE3 trains are set up for lighting. There are now Arnold-made ICE3 trains, but at a much higher price.

The add-on coaches sold for the Minitrix ICE3 were sold as items 15844 (first class) and 15845 (second class).

Hope this helps!

Rich K.

Ciao,

Sorry but what I do not get is how to couple the stuff pictured in image one (in the bag are spare parts like those mounted on my ICE III) with couplers in image two. Is ther a trick I do not know?

It looks like all ADD-ON coaches (minitrix) I found so far are using the second pictured coupler. Will do more research with supplied code-numbers. THX!

Francesco

post-2923-0-57384600-1434703859_thumb.jpg

post-2923-0-02792300-1434703873_thumb.jpg

Ciao,

Hi did some, further, researches but (so far) no luck: nothing on e-Bay auctions nor checking "on-line" shops. On the latter I found the items (listed with codes 15844 & 15845) shown but always followed by the statement "no longer available" while coaches with the other type of couplers seem to be (see my 2nd image) easily available: just my luck ...

Now the question: is there an (always ICE III) "old" model and a "new" one with the latter using different couplers?

Then, to return on topic, I'll try to get one more "german trio" and to modify it into its, chinese, counterpart.

Francesco

Now the question: is there an (always ICE III) "old" model and a "new" one with the latter using different couplers?

There are at least 5 different ICE III modells i've seen from various manufacturers and they use at least 3 different couplers that are not compatible. The idea is to always get the base set and the matching extension sets. It's like a Tomix or Kato 113 series train. Look almost identical, but with slight differences and the close couplers are completly incompatible. This same incompatibilis is also present in the European market, despite the NEM coupler socket standard.

On the bright side, the german ebay right now has some used cars for this type. (example: http://www.ebay.de/itm/N-Minitrix-ICE-3-Zwischenwagen-15844-/361317896617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item54203991a9) Although if you plan to have a 8 car set, then it might be wiser to buy a new type 8 car set in a bookcase and a single extra car to replace the shell of the restaurant car.

Ciao,

I  learned by myself the going (number of exisiting ICE III models) ...

Well my idea is (should) to add two coaches to the "german" start-set I already have (an eight  car set is too long to stop in Mangarahara station)

Then - possibly -  play the "Chinasization" (LOL) of a further start set... ;). THX.

Francesco

What are the item numbers of the add-on ICE3 coaches that you have? The numbers should be on the boxes.

Your underside photo of the coach showing the coupler shows an actual coupler, not a simple drawbar, soit appears that the designs might have been upgraded.

Rich K.

Ciao

Code numbers - see above - are: items 15844 (first class) and 15845 (second class).

... that the designs might have been upgraded

Yep! As a matter of fact I think mine is (got it two/three years ago) an "old" ICE III.

Francesco