Hotel occupancy rates up in Japan- i.e. book early!

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

*Related to the thread started by Santa Fe about his/her trip, and since it has some bearing on people's travel plans, I post this here rather than in the "off topic" section.

Hotel Occupancy in the Asia Pacific Region Up 1.6% to 69.6% for April 2015

Japan saw the largest increases in ADR (+14.3 percent to JPY14,598.76) and RevPAR (+17.4 percent to JPY12,277.33). Occupancy in the country also increased 2.7 percent to 84.1 percent. The devaluation of the Japanese yen has made the country a more affordable destination, and inbound travel has increased in year-over-year comparisons.  

Osaka, Japan, reported the largest ADR increase, rising 30.9 percent to JPY16,914.66. Jakarta, Indonesia, followed with a 16.3-percent increase in ADR to IDR1,284,248.63.

Occupancy rate of 84.1%!  That's possibly the highest in Asia. Average daily rate increase of 31% from the previous year in Osaka.  Big numbers.

http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article83841.html

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Speaking entirely anectodally, I'm seeing more and more tourists in Tokyo, both "western" and from SE Asia. Well up from the dark days of 2011, and noticeably more than even a year ago. Over the last few months I've even been bemused to see small gaggles of obvious tourists wandering around my local shotengai late in the evening, which is weird as I live at one of those stations even most Tokyoites have never heard of with no known attraction of any kind, apart from the cherry blossoms along the local canal river which attract visitors from as far away as the surrounding stations. Also no hotels (apart from a rather naff-looking love hotel). Anyway after a while it occurred to me to check the "airbnb" website, and lo-and-behold there's a whole cluster of apartments available around this particular station (more so than others along the same line).

Japan is a inexpensive place to holiday.  Surpirizingly there a misconceptions about the cost of holidaying in Japan.  Many people I have spoken to have said my previous holiday must have been costly.  But they have never travel to or in Japan.  Compared to my home nation, Hawaii or say America.  Japan is by far a much cheaper option.

I dunno if the horror stories about expensive come from people who fear going away from mainstream hotel chains they know etc like Hilton's.  They are expensive and cater I guess for a westerner.  But they also cost a bucket load compared to saying at a just as equal quality hotel n Japan but unknown to westerners.

I just think many may be catching onto the real Japan and enjoying a inexpensive holiday compared to other destinations.

I think the horror stories are stubborn myths from the time 25+ years ago when Japan really was eye-wateringly expensive. Prices haven't changed much since then, just the rest of the world has caught up (and in many cases overtaken). No doubt the recent decline in the value of the yen has helped as well.

bikkuri bahn

I grew up in Los Angeles, I took a visit a couple of years back and was surprised at the costliness of even mid range accomodations. I selected a motel chain with prices about $30 higher than the average Toyoko Inn type room and got much lower quality. Of course, public transport was dismal but I'm used to that.

bikkuri bahn

re. the perception that Japan is expensive , this type of article kinda fuels the fire:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0OL1NQ20150605?irpc=932

As for the 30000yen double room, they probably cherry picked- using peak pricing . A search shows prices more in the 20000 to 25000 range. Alternatively, if you go for the business hotels, which are not so much a step down IMO from the mid range hotels, you can get a room for 10000 to 16000yen in central Tokyo.

Of course, if people used their heads, they could just get a good reasonable hotel room outside the Yamanote Loop and use the excellent public transport to get to/from the hotel.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
bikkuri bahn

Anyway after a while it occurred to me to check the "airbnb" website, and lo-and-behold there's a whole cluster of apartments available around this particular station (more so than others along the same line).

Funny you say that, cause according to a New York Times article, Japanese people don't like opening up their homes to strangers. Of course the NYT is gospel (snark!)

• Like 1

I've been browsing airbnb for a while.  Plenty of places in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka.  Not much elsewhere across Japan.

Edited by katoftw

Alternatively, if you go for the business hotels, which are not so much a step down IMO from the mid range hotels, you can get a room for 10000 to 16000yen in central Tokyo.

Of course, if people used their heads, they could just get a good reasonable hotel room outside the Yamanote Loop and use the excellent public transport to get to/from the hotel.

Winner.

I paid 16,000 yen in Tokyo, 600m from Shinjuku Station.  Paid 14,000 in the middle of Kyoto, 1.2km from Kyoto station.  And paid 8,000 in Fukuoka, 500m from Hakata Station.  All had your basics, 4x4 bathroom, double bed, desk and chair.  And since they give you toileties, and refresh you room daily.  It is a great bargin compared to the rest of the world.

I could've paid less, but was worried about transport option, which in the end I didn't need to worry about.

Airbnb is a good option to save 50% in Tokyo.  And you'll get a kitchen and laundry.  Sometimes free use of bicycles also.

Stay near Shin-Osaka station instead of Kyoto, both hotels and apartment from airbnb are 50% cheaper than Kyoto options.  And only 17-25 minutes away on the train depending on the service.

Edited by katoftw

Funny you say that, cause according to a New York Times article, Japanese people don't like opening up their homes to strangers. Of course the NYT is gospel (snark!)

I didn't check all the apartments I saw on "airbnb" but my impression is they were entire apartments for rent, not someone's spare room (IMHO anyone who has a spare room around here won't need the money, and anyone who needs the money won't have a spare room anyway). Mainly seemed to be apartments in older buildings in the immediate station area which are otherwise hard to let.

Interesting subject. I don't know how domestic hotel in Japan works. The price are usually matches demand and supply from last year. From experience you can get really cheap hotel like Toyoko Inn about 7000 yen for twin and there is Hilton that could cost 30000 yen. Earlier in the year I stayed in both Granvia Osaka (about 19000 yen per night) and Hilton Osaka (about 25000 yen per night). As I am planning another tour, these perfectly located hotel prices has rocketed as OP states, both of which require double what I paid during the New Year period holiday! I have to say that there is considerable difference between Granvia and Hilton. Granvia location is as perfect as you can get, right above the Osaka station with all those department stores as well underground mall! I would recommend this hotel if it reasonably price 18000 per night twin room. However Hilton room is really good, clean, modern room bigger then Granvia, the most important the bed are really comfortable which I much prefer but not the price premium. 

Therefore I can confirm there is a huge price increase in Osaka, in fact its more expensive then Tokyo!

I've been interested in Airbnb, I don't find them that much cheaper at all for two people, either location is not good or price similar to hotel. 

Have anyone tried capsule hotel? Wanted to to try it never had the chance with the people I'm travelling with. 

bikkuri bahn

If you're willing to find lodgings outside the city center, in suburban locations (they are increasing seemingly every month), you have more choices in the affordable category without resorting to the capsule type accomodations.  Capsule hotels I can't comment on as the last time I stayed in one was more than a decade ago- I reckon they are nicer now than then.  However Chinese tourists don't seem to like them as they can't store their voluminous purchases as they go sightseeing or whatnot.

*side note- almost all Toyoko Inn locations in Kansai were booked up this coming July 4 weekend. Himeji was open, as usual.  I was able to get a room in Nara, which is an underdeveloped location for hotel rooms. 

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2

Even just 500m from the main train stations net you massive savings.  As exampled by Jensen, some only wanna be on top of the station and are willing to pay a premium for it.  I don't mind walking 500m to save 50% per night.

Nick_Burman

I suspect these flats must have been bought/rented by people specifically to function as tourist flats. This is a phenomenon which has already been noticed in New York City, where whole blocks of flats were bought/rentened and are made available through Airbnb and similar services.

Cheers NB

I had the same thoughts.  Especially those apartments where you never meet the host, and you collect the keys from a combination box.

Edited by katoftw
lurkingknight

well that sort of explains why my osaka and kyoto bookings were difficult...

Japan is not that expensive once you're there and you're making good choices... business hotels are not much more costly than hostels and for the extra 10-20 bucks a night, you get privacy and your own bathroom. Food is not terribly expensive and getting around is easy. Attractions are also very cheap.

What kills a trip is the flight, 1700$CAD for both my trips. Once on the ground we averaged around 70$ a night in some prime locations on both trips. It can be further lowered if you only do 1 city and forgo a railpass.

NuclearErick

i was with my friend and his fiance in the Centrair Airport Nagoya

he is a trip back to Colombia his home country

i think was june first, man was a lot of Chinese turist i'm little surprise because Nagoya is not the "MAIN" turist hub (like Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Aomori or Sendai),

lots of baggages, cel phones everywhere taking pics selfies :P

It really depends on when you travel. School holidays and festivals will always be high rates of occupancy.  And places like Tokyo on Friday and Saturday nights normally.

I was looking at prices last night, and Saturdays and Thursday nights are the highest asking prices for rooms.  While Sunday nights are the lowest.  Curious as to the Thursday nights being more expensive that Friday nights?

I've been wondering does the Japanese people plan and book early?

I tend to find European people plan their holiday a year ahead.

I suspect these flats must have been bought/rented by people specifically to function as tourist flats. This is a phenomenon which has already been noticed in New York City, where whole blocks of flats were bought/rentened and are made available through Airbnb and similar services.

Cheers NB

I totally agree with you here!

I was debating similar topic at work about how plane ticket prices have been relatively the same in the past 30 years and how hotel prices have gone up 5 times (we were talking trip from London to US and Mainland Europe).

well that sort of explains why my osaka and kyoto bookings were difficult...

Japan is not that expensive once you're there and you're making good choices... business hotels are not much more costly than hostels and for the extra 10-20 bucks a night, you get privacy and your own bathroom. Food is not terribly expensive and getting around is easy. Attractions are also very cheap.

What kills a trip is the flight, 1700$CAD for both my trips. Once on the ground we averaged around 70$ a night in some prime locations on both trips. It can be further lowered if you only do 1 city and forgo a railpass.

Canada often have high fares due flight restriction. That is similar price for the cheapest direct flight to Japan too. 

UK is also expensive for direct flight due lack of slots on Heathrow.

It really depends on when you travel. School holidays and festivals will always be high rates of occupancy.  And places like Tokyo on Friday and Saturday nights normally.

I was looking at prices last night, and Saturdays and Thursday nights are the highest asking prices for rooms.  While Sunday nights are the lowest.  Curious as to the Thursday nights being more expensive that Friday nights?

I wouldn't mind walking 500m or 1km to save 50% , I haven't seem the case yet. I often find its only 1000-3000 yen more. Thats why I love Tokoyo Inn. Well school holiday and national holidays is always expensive, the worst time would be New Year where most of the world are off! Airfares double over school holidays compare with the really off peak.

i was with my friend and his fiance in the Centrair Airport Nagoya

he is a trip back to Colombia his home country

i think was june first, man was a lot of Chinese turist i'm little surprise because Nagoya is not the "MAIN" turist hub (like Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Aomori or Sendai),

lots of baggages, cel phones everywhere taking pics selfies :P

Chinese tourist goes to anywhere they can. There is more then 8 flights a day from Shanghai alone to Nagoya, so you can expect a lot more. I heard since South Korea MERS breakout, people 2nd choice is Japan mainly the depreciation of yen. 

I have been digging out how much I've spent on more previous holiday trips, I'm not surprise to say that hotel price have not gone up much since 2007 until this year! For the same hotel (Listel Shinjuku) price has only gone up 1000-2000 yen. Nice affordable hotel just a bit far from the station and room a bit small.

Wondering how you guys pick your hotel? Price? Location? Convenient? Brand? Loyalty? Room Size? Facilities?

I always search for location next to or near the main railway station, this way I save time and effort dragging suitcase across the street or other transportation cost. 

IWondering how you guys pick your hotel? Price? Location? Convenient? Brand? Loyalty? Room Size? Facilities?

I always search for location next to or near the main railway station, this way I save time and effort dragging suitcase across the street or other transportation cost. 

Price and location for me.  Brand and loyalty are non factors.  And most offer the same room size (dependent on price point) and facilities, so those aren't a huge factor also.

lurkingknight

for me it's price and location, closer to a station the better so it's easier to find and get to and from. If they have breakfast or a coin laundry or free laundry machines it's a definite plus. On both my trips I looked for at least 2 hotels that had coin laundry on premises. I think the only bad hotel I've had was the one in ueno on my first trip, it was a run down business hotel and even then it wasn't terrible, but they did put us in smoking rooms when we booked nonsmoking.

This recent trip, I wasn't afraid to book hotels farther out of the city centers, but that really only happened in kyoto and tokyo, kyoto because we had no choice... it was the ONLY hotel available 7 months before our trip. In tokyo, asagaya didn't seem overly far from shinjuku.

Weird about Kyoto.  I traveled last year in October when Jidai Matsuri festival was on.  And didn't have an issue booking 2 rooms.  All the cheaper ones were gone, but still plenty of options available.  Paid 12,500 yen per room for 3 nights. those nights were Fri-Sat-Sun. When did you travel?

Coin or free laundries, don't 99% of hotels in Japan have these?  Didn't even factor into the equation for me, as I assumed any hotel I looked at would have one.

Edited by katoftw
bikkuri bahn

Coin or free laundries, don't 99% of hotels in Japan have these?

My perception is that these facilities are offered more in the budget/business hotel range of hotels.  More expensive places will offer only pick-up laundry services at a pretty penny.

lurkingknight

Weird about Kyoto.  I traveled last year in October when Jidai Matsuri festival was on.  And didn't have an issue booking 2 rooms.  All the cheaper ones were gone, but still plenty of options available.  Paid 12,500 yen per room for 3 nights. those nights were Fri-Sat-Sun. When did you travel?

hanami season :P

All Toyoko Inns have coin laundry facilities, usually only one washer and dryer, but still saves going out looking for one.