"The Automatic Scroll Image List of Long Train"

I just found this by accident--it appears to be some sort of slit-camera view of the entire length of passing trains. It scrolls by itself, or you can stop it and view the train by moving the slider back and forth. Seems pretty cool--I want to try it on a faster computer to see if it scrolls faster.

CaptOblivious

It's called Train Side-View or TSV, and a lot of Japanese railfan photographers…Do a search for your favorite train plsu "TSV" and see what you find :D

OMG  this is so neat.  I am in love with this website....I wonder if anyone will do it for the model trains too?  Thanks for the link!

CaptOblivious

Oh, OK--and here I thought I found something unusual. Thanks!

I think it's very unusual! And makes use of an interesting technique. I just happen to run across this stuff a fair amount when searching for images of trains…I didn't mean to burst your bubble!! :(

I didn't mean to burst your bubble!! :(

No--not at all! You opened up another whole avenue of geekiness. :-)

So--is it done with some sort of slit camera or something?

Tried doing this once, too big of a pain in the arse to do with a 4mp D2Hs and never bothered with it since. It looks neat, too much aggravation for me.

These TSV sites are fun.  Here is another site:http://homepage2.nifty.com/kakeyama/index.htm

I like this site too, because it has this:

c58363.jpg

A great shot of a lovely little engine, I reckon. For all that the big JNR steam power like the C62 have a cult following, my preference is for these, hands down.

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn
These TSV sites are fun.  Here is another site:http://homepage2.nifty.com/kakeyama/index.htm

I like this site too, because it has this:

c58363.jpg

A great shot of a lovely little engine, I reckon. For all that the big JNR steam power like the C62 have a cult following, my preference is for these, hands down.

Cheers,

Mark.

I second you on that, Mark.  The C58 type is one of my favorites (along with the chunky 9600 and B6 types). It helps that the 2-6-2 wheel arrangement (called the prairie type in America) has an aesthetically pleasing balance to it, enhanced by those boxpok driving wheels. The D51 and C62 get all the attention, but these workaday locos appeal to me the most.

bb, there's no doubt the C58s are very well-proportioned, appealing engines to look at, but my liking for them is based just as much on their practical aspects. I once had the opportunity to have a good look around C58363, and talk to her crew. Once I had introduced myslef as a fellow engineman, they were only too happy to show me around their engine, answer my questions and let me have a bit of a "play".

I was very impressed with the neat and workable cab layout. There was no need for the fireman to over-reach for the shovelling plate, it was at a good height, the firehole was lower down and a good width, making it easy to get at the corners of the bank, again without over-reaching. The rocking grates were well balanced and easy to use, the ashpan was a good size and easy to dump, and in general all of the bits that needed attention in the course of normal running were very accessible.

Extensive use of grease fittings on the rods and motion meant that the mechanical preparation was easily carried out immediately before coming off the pit, and the crew reckoned that prep and disposal could be done in about 30 to 45 minutes each. They said that their engine was a good performer, very free steaming, and they were very happy with her. All in all, I admit I was a little jealous of them!

(About the only thing I didn't like on her was the hydrostatic lubricator, but I notice in more recent photos she's been fitted with a mechanical lubricator - so much better!)

Here's another view of her:

50c58.jpg

I share your passion for the B6/2120 types, in all their various guises. I have a model of an early B6 by Sango, which is due to go on the workbench soon for some detailing. I dunno about the 9600s, though...

All the best,

Mark

CaptOblivious

I love the warp effect on that coupling rod!

It is cool, isn't it! Definitely evidence of vertical slit photography, at least in this case. I have seen some that rapidly photograph each car as they pass, too…

I love the warp effect on that coupling rod!

LOL! I've been on an engine that dropped a rod for real - at 110kmh. As you can imagine, that was very exciting...

Cheers,

Mark.