2015 summer trip to Germany/Switzerland

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Well, unlike most itineraries posted which are about Japan trips, living in Japan, mine is Europe-based.  A bit shorter than my previous more touristic forays to the continent, it is concentrated almost exclusively on train riding and watching/photography (pretty much like my travels in Japan).  Lodgings are typically business hotels near the main stations, similar to my Toyoko Inn travel pattern (though about 50~60% more expensive).  July-Aug. 10 days. Solo.

1st day- Arrival at Munich early evening nonstop flight from Haneda AP.  Train to Nuremberg on Munich-Nuremberg HSL (I want to catch the Munich-Nuremberg Express RE service, but may not be able, instead may have to take a white worm ICE). Lodgings Nuremberg.

2nd day- AM German Railway Museum.  2pm depart for Nordhausen via Wurzburg and Erfurt.  Lodgings Nordhausen.

3rd day- Harz Mountain Railway.  Lodgings Hannover

4th day- IC Train 2013 "Allgau" from Hannover to Stuttgart.  This train is a Leipzig-Obertsdorf service that takes a leisurely "arc" of 13.5 hours to traverse through most of Western Germany.  I want to get off at Stuttgart to check out the classic railway station before its gone with the new constructions. Stuttgart to Memmingen.  Lodgings Memmingen.

5th day- Memmingen environs photography of semaphore signals and RE trains hauled by 218 class diesels.  PM RE services to Friedrichshafen via Lindau.  Ferry across Lake Constance to Romanshorn.  Lodgings Wintherthur. 

6th day- Winterthur to Lausanne/Montreux.  Golden Pass Route/BLS to Spiez.  All trains I take on the narrow gauge scenic routes in Switzerland will be the regular stopping trains, rather than the tourist ones. Lodgings Spiez.

7th day- BLS day.  Lotschberg route to Brig.  MGB railway to Andermatt, then Goschenen.  A tiny bit of Gotthard Route railfanning, and then SBB to Rotkreuz.  Lodgings Rotkreuz.

8th day-  Return to Gotthard Route. Silenen/Wassen?  Goschenen to Andermatt, then MGB to Disentis/Munster. Rhaetian Railway to Chur.  SBB back to Rotkreuz.  Hopefully a beer back at the hotel veranda while the sun goes down...Lodgings Rotkreuz.

9th day- More Gotthard Route and approaches railfanning until midafternoon. Zurich catch the EC service to Munich, with late evening arrival.  Lodgings Munich.

10th day- AM and early afternoon railfaning the Munich-Rosenheim Line and/or the Munich-Muhldorf Line.  6pm Munich AP departure for Narita AP via Dusseldorf.

As I have the luxury of a lengthy school holiday, I also have holiday time in Japan.  I plan to take the overnight express Hamanasu from Sapporo to Aomori (history next year), then splurge on a Gran Class seat on the Tohoku Shinkansen to Tokyo.  About three days in the Tokyo area, and five in Kansai.

Overall, looking to be a "railtastic" summer holiday!

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1
SantaFe1970

An admirable itinerary.

As a hiker/walker, it would be hard for me to stay on the trains on Day 3 in the Harz. I have several times pored over the relevant schedules and maps, figuring out the possible train riding/trail hiking combinations and connections. With your schedule, will you make it up the Brocken?

On day 6 at Spiez, perhaps you have time to check out the castle overlooking Lake Thun? A beautiful little place... Also, you might consider adding a segment on the BLS lake steamer -- its covered by the Swiss rail pass, if that's how you're traveling (or, at least, it was covered in 2010).  Here are the boat schedules: http://www.bls.ch/e/schifffahrt/fahrplan.php

Again, looks like a fantastic trip and please share your experiences when you get back...

• Like 1

Sounds like a good trip.

I know what you mean about the hotels.  If Toyoko Inn ever becomes a world wide chain they'd get my business.

Its look like a wonderful trip, would love to join you!

I had plan to do a rail trip from London-Paris-Barcelona-Madrid, but had to postpone it till next year. 

Hotels in Europe were never cheap, especially with your depreciate yen. That is why I find going to Japan cheaper (excluding shopping and air fares). 

Have you tried Ibis? they tend to affordable.

Was wondering how much are airfares out of Japan to Europe?

I have stayed at Ibis last year in Munich and Bochum.  Will be staying with them later this year at Heathrow, Leicester, Bristol and Hong Kong, and possibly a couple of others.  Like you say they are usually reasonably affordable and good value for money.

This would be interesting to see it develop. I too is planning a trip to Europe myself that will hopefully happen next year... Had to get this Europe trip out of the Mrs. mind so that every Japan trip thereafter will be easily approved ~ :)

Did you get the Rail pass? I'm reading through the Europass page and it didn't seem very clear... I know it calculates by the number of countries you intend to visit but there only seem to be a 3 or 7 day ticket?

bikkuri bahn

With your schedule, will you make it up the Brocken?

I'm not 100% on this, but a morning train from Nordhausen will take me to the junction (Drei Annen Hohne?) for the line up the Brocken.  Up to there and back literally or at least time for a coffee, and then another train to Wernigerode, arriving in the late afternoon.  Wish I had more time for some walks, but that will have to be another time.

Was wondering how much are airfares out of Japan to Europe?

Can't really give you a range, as I'm a loyal ANA customer and prefer taking their 787's- Japanese airlines tend to be more expensive, I paid around 1400 usd for a r/t airfare.  Maybe knock a hundred or two off if you choose a non-Japanese airline.  I just feel more relaxed when flying on a Japanese airline.

Have you tried Ibis? they tend to affordable.

Yes, I believe I stayed in one in Leipzig or perhaps it was Regensburg, quite a while back.  Quite adequate. Though not this time, I'm trying a "Motel Hotel" in Nuremberg and an Intercity Hotel in Hannover, a bit more pricey I suppose.  The rest I booked are independent operations, though I am staying in a Best Western in Winterthur, a chain I am quite familiar with due to family travels in the Southwestern US and a stay in one a few years back in St. Gallen.

Did you get the Rail pass?

I'm getting the Germany/Switzerland railpass for 10 days (the longest version).  I have to pay separately for the stretch of line between Zurich and Munich that runs through Austria, figure I'll do that the day I take that route (on an EC train) at Zug Station or Zurich after spending the morning and early afternoon on the Gotthard.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Intercity Hotels usually give you a free pass on the local transport (trams, buses etc), we got one in Rostock last year and I got one in Berlin in 2008.

• Like 1

Did you get the Rail pass? I'm reading through the Europass page and it didn't seem very clear... I know it calculates by the number of countries you intend to visit but there only seem to be a 3 or 7 day ticket?

I've been told there are over hundreds different type passes in Europe. Most of which are out of reach (I live in the EU).

In short, you need to plan where the area you are visiting then look for the pass that suits you most. Most rail pass in EU are a bargain if you intend travel long distance. Beware that there are peak hours in certain countries like UK that you can't board some trains before 10am. 

Can't really give you a range, as I'm a loyal ANA customer and prefer taking their 787's- Japanese airlines tend to be more expensive, I paid around 1400 usd for a r/t airfare.  Maybe knock a hundred or two off if you choose a non-Japanese airline.  I just feel more relaxed when flying on a Japanese airline.

I understand, I'm loyal to certain airlines too. 787 is really nice and comfortable plane, shame that most airline put 9 abreast seating. Japanese airlines tend to worth the premium, would have tried them if their timing suits me more. 1400 usd sound reasonable. 

Wish you a wonderful trip!

bikkuri bahn

Well,I'm back. I had a good time. With regards to train watching and photography,

all I can say is thank god for vending machines and convenience stores (in Japan)!

• Like 2

Glad you made it back safely. Are there any operational aspects that are similar to or the same as Japan? Did you ride that line between Munich and Muhldorf?

bikkuri bahn

That's a tough question. Of course railways tend to share more in common than differences, so the differences tend to stand out more. Certainly not timekeeping!(those stories about DB are true).SBB was fine- they need to, to make their interval timetable and connections to work. As usual, Frank and Louise from Springfield are clueless about these Yurpeen trains, the common mistake of sitting in first class on a second fare still witnessed. I didn't go on the Munich Muhldorf line, I opted for greater traffic on the electrified Munich Rosenheim line. Turned out a bit dissappointing, though riding the Stadler Meridians was fun- great acceleration and speed.

bikkuri bahn

There was one European though who was riding in first with a second ticket, but he likely knew it from the start. I think he was French, this was on a inter regio express with doppelstock between Stuttgart and Ulm. Anyway, when confronted by the lady guard, he went on about first class on DB being more like third class, and that DB was always late. The guard handled the situation admirably, and the French guy eventually moved.

Edited by bikkuri bahn