36 classifications of Japanese train nerd

velotrain

I have been able to get a sense of zenmen tenbou from the context, but just Googled it out of curiosity.

This site was the top hit.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/04/21/better-know-a-train-nerd-36-different-classifications-for-japans-densha-otaku/

Of course you're welcome to challenge these or suggest others, but I have no connection to this site / list, so won't care.

• Like 1

we had a thread on this in the past, but can't find it now!

many more flavors than we have here in the US for sure!

jeff

Some of those toward the end of the list seem a bit dubious, but at the top there are several interesting ones I hadn't heard of; Ori-tetsu, Jushin-tetsu, Shuushuu-tetsu. Probably worth Googling...

bikkuri bahn

I think I fit into at least 6 of these categories, which makes me a "sougou tetsu" (all-around tetsu) I guess...

Some of those toward the end of the list seem a bit dubious (...)

They sound dubious, but they are a real thing. Thievery is a thing among some railway 'fans', hence you see some trains (especially rare and older ones) without number plates on the inside. They have either been removed by thieves or by the staff for safe-keeping.

Ne-tetsu are probably a dying breed, as they have to resort to regular trains nowadays. Ekine-tetsu... I think that is a branch of the late-evening commuting crew that OD'ed on certain beverages. Kuzu-tetsu. I've seen them. They have some kind of social and/or mental disorder/sickness and usually they are VERY aware of their behaviour. It's however less annoying than daytime drunks. xD

Thanks! I now understand the name Mokei Imports, a long-term American importer now retired.

Rich K.

Rich,

sorry so say but Lee passed away a couple of years ago not long after his retirement.

jeff

On 6/2/2015 at 3:13 AM, Kabutoni said:

They sound dubious, but they are a real thing. Thievery is a thing among some railway 'fans', hence you see some trains (especially rare and older ones) without number plates on the inside. They have either been removed by thieves or by the staff for safe-keeping.

It's the same the world over. I think a good percentage of preserved locomotives in the UK have replica cast name and number plates, as the originals went walkies at some point. Even some dams near me have resin replicas of their original cast bronze data plates (now relocated to the visitor centre away from the scrap fairies).