More EF200 being scrapped

Following the demise of EF200-1 (last year or year before? Couldn't find previous post to link to), today at Suita depot I spotted at least one (EF200-11) ready to be cut up and possibly a second already reduced to the frames.

They were difficult to spot as deep within the depot and hidden by buildings and the cutter's truck. However, without trespassing, I managed to get the attached pictures although not the best as were taken on full zoom (virtually the length of the site) and with considerable heat haze as in the 30's (deg C) today with high humidity.

Are more of the EF200 stud due to go the same way...?

I did see both EF200-8 and -15 hauling freight on the Sanyo today and -14 having its tyres turned elsewhere in Suita but none looked in the best of condition or upkeep.

post-265-0-31940100-1432636457_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-11143400-1432636636_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
Davo Dentetsu

Following the demise of EF200-1 (last year or year before? Couldn't find previous post to link to), today at Suita depot I spotted at least one (EF200-11) ready to be cut up and possibly a second already reduced to the frames.

They were difficult to spot as deep within the depot and hidden by buildings and the cutter's truck. However, without trespassing, I managed to get the attached pictures although not the best as were taken on full zoom (virtually the length of the site) and with considerable heat haze as in the 30's (deg C) today with high humidity.

Are more of the EF200 stud due to go the same way...?

I did see both EF200-8 and -15 hauling freight on the Sanyo today and -14 having its tyres turned elsewhere in Suita but none looked in the best of condition or upkeep.

Seems so unusual to see them go so soon, plus in such a forgettable way as well.  Any particular reason coming up for this?

Together with the prototype only 21 locomotives of this type were produced, since (according to wikipedia) the 6 MW power output turned out to be too much for the DC overhead supply. The EF210 is around half of this power and turned out to be better suited for DC only freight services. Having an older control system and nonstandard motors means that after 25 years, it's hard to find parts for them, so anything major must be taken from disassembled units. Also JR Freight seems to prefer more modern AC/DC locomotives that can take a train anywhere on the japanese electrified network. I think if they could traded them in for more EF210 units, JRF would have done it around 1998. Instead they just lowered their power rating to the same range as EF66 and EF210 units, which are easier on the supply. Unfortunately running at half power makes an electric locomotive's power consumption very uneconomical. Actually for me it would look easier to keep EF66-s in service than these as more spare parts are available and their power output matches the loads better. (just my 2 cents tough...)

Passed Suita Depot on the train to Kyoto this afternoon and saw that EF200-11 is now reduced to its frames and one cab which will probably also be gone by now. RIP.

The small production run and lack of spare parts is why the EF200's are being retired. The much larger production run and better suitability to run on the DC overhead power used on the Tokaidō and San'yō Main Lines is why the EF210's will be around a long time.

yakumo381

It looks like another EF200 is on its way over the rainbow to the great railway in the sky.

EF200 8, along with EF66 29 and 59, is now in the cutting sidings at Suita Depot.

Looks like the cab side has been marked out for cutting out of its number as a complete panel for future sale.

post-265-0-84965300-1462723810_thumb.png

• Like 1
yakumo381

Whilst at Inazawa, EF65s appear to be flavour of the day for the cutting tools.

EF65 2036 and 2037 being recent casualties.

Have JRF decided to rationalise more of the older classes whilst bring in more EF210 and similar?

post-265-0-02400900-1462725679_thumb.png

• Like 1

From looking at various densha otaku websites, it appears EF200-901, -17 and -20 are all now stopped and stored on the siding at Suita Depot usually kept for withdrawn locos. Presumably this means as a major service fall due or a significant failure, a death sentence rather than repair. How long before this class becomes extinct?

One I missed, it looks like EF200-3 went "over the rainbow" in June at Suita Depot and I suspect EF200-16 may also have gone as I can find no recent trace of it....

post-265-0-40456100-1473708817_thumb.png

Looking on line, particularly on You-Tube, it appears that EF200-901 has been taken away from Suita Depot rather than being scrapped. Attempting to translate the various descriptions, it seems to have gone for preservation. This contributor seems to have an understanding but I am not exactly clear what using on-line translation sw:

Has anyone got any better information that can shed some light on EF200-901's future?

Well, there's not much mentioned in the description, but I can confirm that it says that prototype loco EF200-901 will be preserved.

Edited by Densha

Unfortunately there's no photo from the front because my smartphone camera failed on me, but I saw EF200-4 near Maibara station on the 18th:

post-638-0-06358000-1477158189_thumb.jpg

I feel like this may be both the first and last time I will ever see an EF200 in action.

Searching about the net for more info, it appears the original prototype EF200-901 has been returned to its maker Hitachi.

Update: EF200-901 being transported by road to Hitachi. post-265-0-37592400-1479748723_thumb.png

Edited by yakumo381
  • Like 1

At least three more EF200 keep their date with the scrapman (or his equivalent in Japanese?) in Suita depot. Photographed today, EF200-16 and -12 with another behind. Seen from a different view point, the third was still not identifiable as only the cabs left with no visible numbers.

Others still in traffic (that I've seen this last week) include EF200-10, -4, -2 and -19.

post-265-0-35097000-1479031618_thumb.png

Edited by yakumo381
  • Like 1

Looking through the internet, came across this image from possibly slighty earlier than my photo in post above showing clearly four EF200 ready for scrapping...post-265-0-95712200-1479748175_thumb.png

Edited by yakumo381

Appears from this twitter thread...

marillbus @mari6bus

10/29の吹田機関区の奥。4両のEF200が解体中。車番が見えたのはEF200-15、EF200-12、EF200-14の3両。 pic.twitter.com/WlleuKgKu1

...that the four EF200 being scrapped at Suita included -15 and -14 as well as -16 and -12.

Noticed that when a loco has finally gone from being "withdrawn" to "to be scrapped", that the JR depot appear to first take out the headlights as can be seen on these EF200: post-265-0-21169700-1479747821_thumb.png

I have come across the same thing at Inazawa where I have photographed a to be scrapped DD51 waiting on the withdrawn line also with headlights removed as well as the cab side depot allocation plates. post-265-0-03363200-1479747876_thumb.png

Perhaps this is to ensure that no one takes them out of the depot by mistake given that the drivers of all JR trains always check the lights when taking over a train?

Edited by yakumo381
  • Like 1
Das Steinkopf

I'm happy to confirm that some are still in service, I spotted one hauling some Chikki's north of Shin Osaka on Monday night and another sitting at the depot at Okayama today whilst I am on an N700-8000 heading south to Kyushu.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 3

I shot EF-200-10 at Shin-Kawasaki last Tuesday heading South. Recently this is also a good spot to shoot EF-66s. One seems to regularly come up from Nambu Branch line hauling the white trash containers at about 7:56 AM. Also another there is another that recently usually heads down to the Nambu Branch Line at about 14:35. It usually has only a few cars and often has a couple of tank cars and or cement gondolas.

Grant

• Like 2

Please share your photos here in the forum (of all these trains). It would be great to see newer freight pictures from around Shin Kawasaki or the Nambu line. Thanks!

bikkuri bahn

The ED78 operated in the Itaya Pass on the Ou Main Line. The window guards were installed to prevent damage to glass from hanging icicles in tunnels/snow sheds. Apparently they were removed after it was found that they reduced visibility too much.

• Like 2