651 series "Super Hitachi" revival to Yokohama May 30

bikkuri bahn

JR East, in commemoration with the 156th anniversary of the opening of Yokohama Port, is running a special train using the 651 series on May 30th from Mito to Ishikawacho Station in Yokohama and return.  The train will use the Ueno-Tokyo Line and traverse the normally freight-only Takashima freight line between Tsurumi and Sakuragicho. It'll be interesting to see where the 651 series trainset will be stabled after dropping off its passengers at Ishikawacho Station before its return trip to Mito (Negishi Station sidings?)

JR East pamphlet:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/ekitabi/tabitetsu/common/pdf/201505/15051102.pdf

Old video from front of a 185 series (apparently the same rinji ressha service as the one to run on the 30th), on the Takashima Freight Line:

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

Ooh, very interesting! I regularly go to Chinatown and pass by this place. I'm very very sure there will be many many pictures and videos of this train on the net after that weekend. With that, many many people watching... It'll probably be crazy at some places.

Ooh, very interesting! I regularly go to Chinatown and pass by this place. I'm very very sure there will be many many pictures and videos of this train on the net after that weekend. With that, many many people watching... It'll probably be crazy at some places.

I agree. Especially since that line is primarily used for freight traffic. Expect big crowds at Tsurumi and Sakuragicho Stations.

bikkuri bahn

If you dislike (like I do) the zoolike conditions at railway stations induced by pubescent tetsuota, go to one of the level crossings along the Takashima Freight Line (you can see some fans doing just that in the video) or the portion just before the line dives under the Minato Mirai district (around 9:50)- I once took some pictures of a freight train there.  However a short step ladder would be useful for that stretch, due to fencing.  Also it'd be better to scout the location* beforehand, as it seems to have changed a bit since I last visited 3 or 4 years ago.

*access from Shin-Takashima Station, or a walk from Yokohama Station/Sogo via the footbridge/passage going through Nissan Global HQ.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Didn't wanted to start a new topic just for this, but our favorite 'Tet Mama' just went on a 'normal' route train to Tatsuda using a previous 651 series Super Hitachi!

Now this is interesting since I didn't know the 651 series were still around (except for the 651-1000 Izu Craile and the Swallow Akagi), and doing a regular service!

• Like 1
On 30.8.2017 at 6:21 AM, JR 500系 said:

Now this is interesting since I didn't know the 651 series were still around (except for the 651-1000 Izu Craile and the Swallow Akagi), and doing a regular service!

The 651 series is back on the Joban line with 4 car sets on local service between Iwaki and Tatsuta since July 2017. There are two round trips per day.

Press release + schedule: http://www.jrmito.com/press/170623/press_01.pdf