Traveling green class between 3/27/16 and 4/3/16 how busy?

Do the Yamanote ride as soon as possible after checking in to the hotel. The later, the more people on Sunday night.

Anyway, it's a good preparation for Monday morning. You have to take the Chuo Rapid from Shinjuku to Tokyo in the worst morning rush hour. The Chuo line is more congested then Yamanote, if I remember correctly.

A suggestion for day 2:

Take the Narita Express from Shinjuku at 6.51 - arriving Tokyo 7.13. That's the most comfortable way to reach your Shinkansen for Akita at 7.36.

KitAyama, thank you for that advice. The rail pass would work on this train too. Iirc the narita express has green class.

Regarding Green class seats, some trains do have very notable comfort Green seats. Some of my favourites include the E7, E5 and the 885 series Kamome.

The Kamome was the best I felt, very smooth ride, a nice and comfortable chair, really classy interior and the ability to watch the glass screen behind the driver fade up with some special function whenever he stopped the train. Strange and amazing. Driver must be picking his nose or something when the screen frost up... 

Beware on the 1/2 cars Green class for booking, like for your case the Sakura N700 and the Inaho. Being only half a carriage you get limited seats and that could be hard to book. You don't have the Thunderbird, so that's ok, but I don't know about the Serasagi. I couldn't book Green seats even in 5 days advance for the N700 Sakura (depending on which leg of the journey you're taking, often beyond Hakata towards Kagoshima-Chuo or vice versa is lesser crowded) and the Thunderbird... I had to settle for normal class seats for the Thunderbird and even non-reserved for the N700 Sakura...

Well guys I'm back at it. The dates have changed due to work schedule. We are now based out of courtyard Tokyo station and courtyard shin-Osaka.

I've seen YouTube videos of food service carts on the Shinkansen. Is this consistent with all Shinkansen services?

Day 1 Friday April 15

Depart O’Hare 11:55 p.m.

Day 2 Saturday April 16

Cross international Dateline

Day 3 Sunday April 17 Courtyard Tokyo Station

Arrive Seoul 4:00 a.m.

Depart Seoul 9:00 a.m.

Arrive Tokyo 11:00 a.m.

Pick up portable hotspot

Validate rail pass and make green class reservations for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Depart Narita Terminal 1 Narita Express 1:14 p.m.

Arrive Tokyo station 2:14 p.m.

Ride Yanote line 1-hour circle trip above ground around Tokyo

Ride Tokyo subway

RP 1 Day 3 Monday April 18 Courtyard Tokyo Station

7: 45 a.m. Buy lunch and snacks for the day

Depart Tokyo 8:4o a.m. SHINKANSEN KOMACHI 7

Arrive Akita 12:30 p.m.

Depart Akita 12:58 p.m. LTD. EXP INAHO 10

Arrive Niigata 4:32 p.m.

Dinner or snack and eat dinner in Tokyo.

Depart Niigata 5:22 p.m. SHINKANSEN MAX TOKI 338

Arrive Tokyo 7:20 p.m.

RP 2 Day 4 Tuesday April 19 Osaka Courtyard

Depart Tokyo 7:34 a.m.

Arrive Shinjuku 7:49 a.m.

Super Azusa 5

Depart Tokyo Shinjuku 8:00 a.m.

Arrive Matsumoto 10:38 a.m.

Limited Express Shinano 5

I've seen YouTube videos of food service carts on the Shinkansen. Is this consistent with all Shinkansen services?

Not sure, but no, I don't think so.  It might be limited to the faster, limited stop services.  So on the Tokaido, for example, Kodama services won't have it.  Hikaris may not either, or only have it where there's a significant period of time between stops.  I'm sure someone on this board will have more specific info.

Oh my...

One of the most 'tedious' journeys I have seen... Probably should call this 'Extreme Train Journeys' really!  :)

You are travelling alone? There seems to be almost no room for sightseeing...

If train riding is your ultimate goal then this itinerary is superb!

I will try to look further into it to see if I can provide some information, as I think you might not want to ride on the same train to and fro, like the Ltd. Express Nanpu for example... I'll try looking for an alternative route & train to take...

Just curious, why would you not stay at Kyushu on Day 7 night to Day 8? I saw that you intend to ride back to Osaka and then come back to Beppu on Day 8 for a night over I guess, but then day 9 would strange though to start from Osaka when you end Day 8 at Beppu.... Kyushu too has a lot of nice trains to ride...

Regarding the trolley service, it is quite hard to tell, but I think we can dig the shinkansen site (Tokaido, Sanyo and Tohoku) to see if trolley service is available on that service you intend to ride... Otherwise buying a bento at the station would be the safest way to go ~~

I would travel to Hakone from Tokyo, not Osaka.  Will save 5 hours of your day.

Also I would stay in Fukuoka on the days to travel to Nagasaki and Beppu.  Again this will save 5 hours per day in travel.

Trolley service available between Hakata and Tokyo on all services other than Kodama.  But you can check on the companies websites to see if anything has changed.  Trolley service cost about 50% more on the trains compared to at the stations for same items.

Edited by katoftw

Go buy a bento at the station like others here have suggested (there are kiosks right on the platforms).  I only buy coffee from the trolleys, it's my habit whenever I ride the shinkansen.

Go buy a bento at the station like others here have suggested (there are kiosks right on the platforms).  I only buy coffee from the trolleys, it's my habit whenever I ride the shinkansen.

Yap ~ Coffee and some other exclusive items otherwise not available on the stations ~~  :)

I would travel to Hakone from Tokyo, not Osaka.  Will save 5 hours of your day.

Also I would stay in Fukuoka on the days to travel to Nagasaki and Beppu.  Again this will save 5 hours per day in travel.

Trolley service available between Hakata and Tokyo on all services other than Kodama.  But you can check on the companies websites to see if anything has changed.  Trolley service cost about 50% more on the trains compared to at the stations for same items.

I would do that too, like staying in Kyushu. Wasting too much time running up and down when that time can actually be used to travel on some route in Kyushu, like the Hitsatsu Line ~ :)

I appreciate the feedback. I know this is by far not the best itinerary. I was trying to minimize changing hotels.

I agree that It's better to visit hakone from Tokyo. I'll revisit that.

As far as tedious, I love riding trains and looking out the window.

Looking out the window of a Shinkansen is a little meh to me.  I would minimize you traveling time on a Shinkansen so you can spend more time on a local or rapid service.  You'll see more and you'll meet the fun local people.

Shinjuku to Odawara on the Tokaido line takes a bit under 90 minutes.  You can still do your regular return trip as planned on the Romance Expresses.

Also on the Beppu day, I would consider returning via the Hohi Line to Hakata, if you decide to stay in Fukuoka.

Edited by katoftw

I don't know your specific interests, but I recommend getting off the Sanyo Shinkansen in at least one spot, and ride the local trains on the Sanyo Main Line, especially the places which run alongside the Seto Inland Sea (I recommend the spot around Onomichi between Mihara and Fukuyama in eastern Hiroshima Prefecture).  The rolling stock is (still?) old 115 series, makes for a good train riding experience.  If you have a little more time, the Kure Line is also recommended.

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback. I know this is by far not the best itinerary. I was trying to minimize changing hotels.

I agree that It's better to visit hakone from Tokyo. I'll revisit that.

As far as tedious, I love riding trains and looking out the window.

Actually it IS a good itinerary~ Serious! It maxes out the pass almost completely...

I understand the rationale of not trying to change hotels, perhaps due to luggage or a cheaper hotel rate when staying for a long time?

The thing is, if you are travelling alone or with a rail fan like yourself then it is the perfect holiday... But if you have someone who isn't a rail fan then it might prove to be rather torturous to them especially when visiting the place but not able to walk around it and see the sights and sounds and try the local food of that area.... 

I'll see what I can do to try to help you max out more trains in your plans ~

Looking out the window of a Shinkansen is a little meh to me.  I would minimize you traveling time on a Shinkansen so you can spend more time on a local or rapid service.  You'll see more and you'll meet the fun local people.

Shinjuku to Odawara on the Tokaido line takes a bit under 90 minutes.  You can still do your regular return trip as planned on the Romance Expresses.

Also on the Beppu day, I would consider returning via the Hohi Line to Hakata, if you decide to stay in Fukuoka.

Agreed. I made the wrong choice in my first trip and took shinkansens. Local lines or Limited express lines allow for more sightseeing at a lower speed... Like Himeji to Osaka can be done using Shin-Kaisoku instead of the shinkansen..

Oh yes, and if you take the Tokaido line from Shinjuku to Odawara, you can ride in the 15-car train and on cars 4 & 5 double decker using the green pass ~~ :)

• Like 1

Hello,

Please allow me to give my opinion on your travel plans:

1. I agree with JR 500系.  If you are travelling alone or with a fellow railfan then you might enjoy your hectic itinerary.  However, as much as I enjoy trains I think your itinerary is too busy for me.  You must understand that trains go somewhere.  They have a destination.  When you share the Odakyu Romance car with Japanese tourists you must understand they are spending several days at Hakone, for example.  Their frame of mind will be different to that of a railfan who is simply ticking a box.  I think the tourist who rides a train to its destination will enjoy the destination and the train journey more.  Two examples of this: Train Cruise and the blog "Tokyo Rail Labyrinth" highlight the importance of knowing the place, and the food as much as knowing the train;

2. Ekiben!  The Bento boxes sold at railway stations!  I notice on your itinerary you have many planned meal stops.  Many are short.  Ekiben is Japanese culture.  You will see many people, commuters and tourists, buying the bento boxes before they board their train.  They are even sold on many express trains.  I suggest you try this as travelling on the train is the perfect time to eat ... just ask my wife ... it may also give you the opportunity to adjust your schedule and see more of the places you stop at instead of finding the nearest noodle shop;

3. Arrive at major stations with plenty of time.  The 7:36am Shinkansen Komachi 3 will depart at exactly 7:36am.  Tokyo station will be quite crowded at that time of the morning.  I would allow at least 10 minutes for the interchange, 15 if you plan to purchase Ekiben;

4. Avoid fast food and western food.  You are only in Japan a short time, so why not enjoy some hot Ramen at the local station?  There are many fine Japanese restaurants in the places you plan to visit.  I think you will be surprised at how Japanese people try to assist you at these restaurants.  Also, many department stores have restaurants, usually at or near the top floor, with display windows showing exactly what each meal will look like.  Many towns and cities are famous for particular foods, which are very enjoyable and, I think, complete a journey.

Of course, it is your holiday, not mine, and I wish you safe travels and an enjoyable stay in Japan.

• Like 1

Thank you for the input. All of you. I knew I had bit off a lot. I'll talk to my rail fan buddy and will figure out how to whittle this down. I'm thinking that with jet lag it's better to shorten some of this.

What are the most scenic mountain routes around Osaka? We were intrigued by the switchback operation on the line by Mt. Aso. There were some interesting suggestions regarding lines that parallel the Sanyo line.

Again thank you.

Thank you for the input. All of you. I knew I had bit off a lot. I'll talk to my rail fan buddy and will figure out how to whittle this down. I'm thinking that with jet lag it's better to shorten some of this.

What are the most scenic mountain routes around Osaka? We were intrigued by the switchback operation on the line by Mt. Aso. There were some interesting suggestions regarding lines that parallel the Sanyo line.

Again thank you.

No worries, that's what this forum is for, we are here to share information and knowledge between us!  :)

If you like switch backs, may I suggest the Hakone Tozan Railway from Hakone-Yumoto to Gora? It has 3 switch-backs and a really fun climb up, not forgetting the narrow lanes it climbs up and the beautiful scenery... It was one of our favourite rides in Japan...

If you liked that, since you are travelling to Odawara, perhaps just a little further to Hakone-Yumoto station via Odakyu? There is a Hakone Free-pass by Odakyu, really worthy and also you can ride the Romance Car, Hakone bus, the ropeway (caution this might be closed due to the possibility of Mount Hakone eruption) and the river cruise. http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/hakone/

fig-index-01.gif

Sorry cant help you much on the Osaka mountainous leg, but many have suggested Lake Biwa to be scenic ~

• Like 1

Scanning your itinerary, it looks like you could be riding on E6 and E7 Shinkansens,  You can pay the supplement when you make your seat reservations to upgrade to Gran Class from Green Car (your pass) on the trains that have Gran Class (E5, E6, E7, W7).  It is well worth it for at least one leg of your trip.  Unfortunately, you will then be spoiled and want to sit in Gran Class every time.

I will often get my train food from a depachika - the food hall/grocery store usually in the basement of department stores that are very often conveniently located right at major train stations.  Daimaru at Tokyo Station has an excellent depachika for example.  I find the food much better and more varied than the usual ekiben available in the stations.

In my experience, it very much helps to have your itinerary printed out on a sheet of paper.  Contrary to what someone else said, not every ticket agent can speak English that well.  It just makes it easier for everyone.

I will also say that embarking on a long train trip the day after arriving from a long flight may not be the best.  I once traveled to Yamagata and back on the Shinkansen (about 6 hours on the train) the day after arriving from the U.S.  My butt was seriously tired of sitting by the end of that day.  Jet lag will probably make you want to sleep through most of the train trip too!

Have fun!

Edited by maihama eki

maihama eki,

Thank you for your information. How do I determining when I am going to ride on an e6 or e7 Shinkansen? If I'm going to spring for gran class I want a longer segment.

Scanning your itinerary, it looks like you could be riding on E6 and E7 Shinkansens,  You can pay the supplement when you make your seat reservations to upgrade to Gran Class from Green Car (your pass) on the trains that have Gran Class (E5, E6, E7, W7).  

Eerrr... hang on a second. Am I missing something here? E6 has Gran Class?

Also, please take note the following from JR Pass official website:

If you use the GranClass car, only the basic fare is covered with your JAPAN RAIL PASS for both Green Car and Ordinary Cars and you must pay the limited express charge and the GranClass car surcharge additionally.

That could be kinda costly, though riding in the Gran class is of course worthy of a trip! By the way, Gran Class offers food and drinks too so no need for ekibens on those!  :)

Edited by JR 500系

Sorry.  My mistake. I see now that E6 doesn't appear to have Gran Class.  I thought it did since it appeared at about the same time as E5 and on the same lines.

I've been in Gran Class on E5 and E7, so no doubt about those.

If you want to know if a particular train has Gran Class, you can use Hyperdia to search the connection.  Under "Seat Fee" there is a drop down that shows the fare "Regular seat" "Green seat" and if available "Gran Class".  That will also give you an idea of how much the supplement will be.  The last time I did this, I had a Green Car JR pass, and traveled from Nagano to Tokyo on the E7.  I think I paid around 7000 yen extra for Gran Class over what my pass covered, but I don't remember the exact amount.

I'm not sure what your latest itinerary is, but an earlier one showed Hakutaka service.  That is I think pretty sure to be an E7 or W7 and should definitely have Gran Class.