Thailand HSR Bangkok-Chiang Mai shinkansen system?

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Once again, I'll believe it when I actually see the viaducts being built and the catenary being strung up.  Note there are no reports in the Japanese media about these latest developments.  It's mainly being driven by reports in the Sinosphere.

BANGKOK - Japan has signalled its intention to help develop three multibillion-dollar high-speed railway routes in Thailand. Both sides will sign a memorandum of cooperation (MOC) this month on joint development of the Bangkok-to-Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi-Bangkok-Laem Chabang and Bangkok-to-Sa Kaew rail lines.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/south-east-asia/story/japan-develop-thai-high-speed-rail-links-20150513

Ha ha.

It’s an annual announcement here.
Then they set aside a couple of hundred million baht for the feasibility study.
Which mysteriously disappears.
Rinse and repeat…

The population of Sa Kaew is only about 15,000.
This is pretty much the whole town:

37_big.jpg

Actually, you’d think they’d be able to find a few baht to spend on the existing railway first.
It feels like there’s a new derailment reported every week.

train.jpg

28485760e.jpg

7-27-2014-4-58-27-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Fortunately most of them seem to happen at walking pace…

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing an insight in Thailand mrp san. It's really sad why derailments happen oh so often in Thailand...

For one, I will be most pleased if a HSR is developed to run from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, or even better, Chiang Rai. Although currently there are budget airlines for these routes, nothing feels better than taking a train over taking a plane anytime... 

Sure Japan is interested is helping.  But they wont be helping until someone pays them.

Edited by katoftw
bikkuri bahn
It feels like there’s a new derailment reported every week.

One thing about derailment pics, you can see the carbody undersides, a rare perspective.  I see that JNR DT21 type bogies are in widespread use in Thailand.
bikkuri bahn

Some reports in Japanese media showing up.  Expect some more news when the Thai transport minister meets with his Japanese counterpart at the MLIT next week in Tokyo.

The population of Sa Kaew is only about 15,000.
This is pretty much the whole town

Perhaps that section is just an upgrade (improved signalling, grade separation in sections, etc.), to allow higher frequencies and speed?

Edited by bikkuri bahn
Ochanomizu

Hello,

I'm thinking that real progress will be made in Thailand.  With the military in government, progress is not really a matter of domestic politics.  I believe we provide billions of Yen to Thailand in development aid.  To keep it flowing, some of it must come back.  Approval and commencement of the fast rail link is mutually beneficial to both countries.