Wide Track Tram Track??

gerryo

8 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Tomix 3079 is used only with stock Tomix rail. It requires assembly and sometimes some fine cutting.  Whereas Wide Tram Rail comes with rails molded into the structure. First photo is 3079 track covers on an early layout. The second photo is Wide Tram Track a few years later.

Thanks. So is there no accessory to cover openings in the side of the wide track? I can glue plastic strips but I’m surprised there isn’t product for that. 

Edited by JR 500系

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forums! Yes it is recommended to use the Tomix WIDE tram tracks instead since they are already moulded with the road surface and hence far easier to work with... As bill had mentioned, the 3074 requires some fine tuning and cutting to fit onto Tomix tracks.... The Tomix WIDE tram tracks are also more compatible with the moving bus system if you intend to connect them, like the video bill has showed. You could also use grey masking tape as a cheaper and easier alternative to cover the ugly sides of the tram/ moving bus tracks if you like for aesthetics purposes ~

image.thumb.jpg.5e4151a248c1193ff507e77a6d110ac3.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.02fc39a2e0b0d09c5082d03cf658b84c.jpg

The only way to hide it completely is to sink it into an underlay or as you said foamboard.

I ve used this product on all my layouts and after a few attempts I settled on 6mm thick high density foam,it’s actually laminate floor underlay.Its very strong yet durable and very easy to cut with a craft knife.

roads and paths etc will be added later.

hope this helps

• Like 3
7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

You could also use grey masking tape as a cheaper and easier alternative to cover the ugly sides of the tram/ moving bus tracks if you like for aesthetics purposes

Very nice idea! I was thinking styrene strips and how to best attach it, but this is much simpler. Could just tape it and then paint the tape!

jeff