JAPANESE RAIL SERVED INDUSTRIES

Carlos Filipe

Carlos Filipe

Been lazy! Let's face it. I like this idea of a small encased layout including some shunting. I was hoping to keep things simple and under a controlled budget.

Someone pointed out here that Japanese layouts are not fun for shunting due the type of coupling, which incidentally is the standard issue in Europe and works fine if one accepts to uncouple manually with the help of a little wooden stick.

But having the layout inside a case seems a little tricky. not to mention that to perform that task I'll cover the whole scene with my XXL body....   

So I'll have to retrofit Micro train magnetic couplers... Not at all an expense I was willing to do.

• Like 1

Carlos - as I recall your proposed layout would only have one, or possibly two, engines and several wagons, so it's hard to imagine expense as a serious issue.

I'm quite certain there are automatic uncouplers for the Rapido couplers (they just need to push up from underneath), but undoubtedly they are as visually displeasing as the couplers themselves.  (I was working not so say the U word ;-)

• Like 1

Rapido couplers are great for remote uncoupling and most manufacturers make remote uncoupling tracks. It's very easy to make one too, both mechanically and electronically actuated ones. You just need a small push plate with short ramps on both sides, that raises above rail head level to uncouple the rapido couplers. These can be placed everywhere and moved with a mechanical linkage, an electromagnet, a servo or a point motor. It's a very cheap solution and for example some Tomix tracks even have the right holes pre drilled that can be used to fit them without modifying the track. (i would suggest painted styrene pieces for the ramps mounted onto longer nails, actuated by wooden pushrods from the side for a dirt cheap solution)

Carlos Filipe

For a long time I have this project dusting in the shelf.
You guys have been very helpeful and gave very good pointers.
Got very good research sources and very pertinent observations
Teh most striking for me was the need for automatic couplers for more a convincing operation without touching the rolling stock.
I recently bought some Dapol magnetic couplers for a micro layout in 0n18, so I'm learning now how to install these couplers.
Size of the layout is another issue that made me stop to devise a way of solving it. I live on a 2nd floor served by a tiny lift that allows a maximum length of 90cms to be on the safe side.
Carrying Klisheshima downstairs was a hard lesson not to forget. Carryint it in a normal car also. It only fitted laying down.
Surfing on the net I found a site
http://www.timhorn.co.uk/waltham-on-the-wolds-bridge-4mm-scale-ooemp4/
of a shop run by Tim Horn. He sells laser cut baseboards in kits.
One of them is composed of 3 modules, each measuring 800X250cms for a very reasanoble price. We can buy them separatly, but I was curious to see them all.
So now I'm considering to use the 2 modules form the end to build the layout totalling a length of 1800cms. Gave up from the showcase concept, I'll figure out a way to provide good lighting later.
Here are some photos of the modules:

post-1540-0-21695100-1489725471_thumb.jpg

post-1540-0-46149700-1489725472_thumb.jpg

post-1540-0-28141100-1489725473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carlos Filipe
  • Like 2
On 11/28/2019 at 3:07 AM, DD13 said:

It´s me or looks as model railroaders in Japan love roundy layouts. Haven´t see any shunting layout yet,

Not many due to space issues in Japan. But the are around.

Found a video of a rail served industry using a DE10 because their own locomotive was having some problems.

This video of the Nagoya Rinkai Railway seems like it could pass for a local freight here in America. 

Nosuview's Japanese freight train channel is a pretty good resource for finding quality content about Japan’s freight trains.

Edited by Hakubi Line
  • Like 2

I’m definitely picking up a trend that Japanese industries frequently use their own engines. If it was correctly translated, then this industry has switched over to the container yard/truck method like most of Japan. 

If correctly translated, then it now uses the Sakata Port Station, which I found the be very interesting! Of course there is the main JRF yard, but there is a non-electrified branch through town over to the port itself, where there is a small container yard and I assume are indoor loading points. Honestly I think a setup like this could make for an interesting layout. A main line, yard, and a branch with a variety of loading points!

Edited by Hakubi Line
  • Like 2